• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2003 Jeep TJ - what's wrong with my A/C

Don't get me wrong folks, if it becomes too big a headache I'll take it in to a shop. Just trying to learn more about automotive a/c and see if I can figure it out and repair it. Appreciate all the advice.

Update. Put in a full 12oz can. Now low side cycles between 20-50psi, hovering around 45 when it isn't spiking from the compressor kicking on/off. High side is between 100 and 130. Still not up to the range it should be but after sitting for a couple days when I first put on gauges, both sides were about 40psi so in theory it's not leaking.

As another has said, spritz joints with a spray bottle with water and a drop or two of dishwashing detergent and look for bubbles. No bubbles? Pull a vacuum for 10-15 minutes minimum and see if it holds (give it an hour). If it holds vacuum then put the vac pump on it and pull a vacuum for at least an hour, then charge it by weight (through the low side ONLY) to the correct amount. If it doesn't hold, find the leak, kill it, and start over at the "pull a vacuum" part.

The system is very low, you have a leak somewhere. Don't evac and vac till you find the leak or its just costing you $ in Freon

Back
Top Bottom