• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2008 ford escape (V-6) problems.

Thanks. Yesterday when I was told the diagnostic test showed a bad coil, and now they had to figure out which one it was, I was kind of surprised that the code would not show which one it was. When they tuned it up they did have to replace one of the coils that was bad, so how did they know which one it was unless the scanner told them? Sounds like I may need a new mechanic.
those type of issues say misfire detected on X cylinder..may not be a coil could be low vacuum ( there are tests that need to be performed on the actual coil to determine if the coil is the fault ( primary and secondary resistance measurements from a voltmeter) changing parts doesnt always fix the problem only cost you more money. something as stupid as PCV valve not pushed down all the way in valve cover or Again split tube can mimic this problem

If you had one coil go out another isn’t uncommon
I always recommend replacing all expensive yes but I don’t want you keep coming back for a misfire issues

Aftermarket cheap ones suck too

Scanner will NOT always show which cylinder is misfiring

You have to do a load balance test with a scanner like ford IDS
Or one that will allow this

High end ones will

These vehicles are common having bad coils

If you had one coil go out another isn’t uncommon
I always recommend replacing all expensive yes but I don’t want you keep coming back for a misfire issues

Aftermarket cheap ones suck too

Scanner will NOT always show which cylinder is misfiring

You have to do a load balance test with a scanner like ford IDS
Or one that will allow this

High end ones will

These vehicles are common having bad coils
Thanks Lockout. When I told my wife what the mechanic said she said "why didn't they just replace them all when doing the tune-up". And like you said, because replacing all six would be very expensive. I guess it's one of those "pay me now, or pay me later" things.:(

Thanks Lockout. When I told my wife what the mechanic said she said "why didn't they just replace them all when doing the tune-up". And like you said, because replacing all six would be very expensive. I guess it's one of those "pay me now, or pay me later" things.:(
Sometimes you can get lucky replacing one but on fords not so lucky , like they have a perfect light bulb timer lol

I hope it's not the ECM, because I think they are pretty expensive. I was told they have to be programmed if you put a new one in. Not sure if that has to be done by a dealer or not. Hopefully I will know something tomorrow.

I hope it's not the ECM, because I think they are pretty expensive. I was told they have to be programmed if you put a new one in. Not sure if that has to be done by a dealer or not. Hopefully I will know something tomorrow.
rock auto.com cardone half price of dealer..get a second opinion before you buy a computer

Back
Top Bottom