• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

21 foot rule Tragedy Fail

"Warren stated he emptied the .38 Revolver but did not clear for remaining rounds."

Huh?

How do you only eject "some" of the rounds in a revolver?
Ask the tall dumbass standing in line at the RK Show a couple years back. 'emptied' his carry piece then before putting it back in his pocket pointed it at the glazed tile wall and pulled the trigger. The man struck in the leg by the ricochet was a lot more Christian about the whole thing than I would have been.

Got a friend with a pawn shop gives me a shoe box full of ammo about once a year that he takes out of guns people bring in that are supposed to be empty!rifle, pistol, and shotgun shells! Have brought home several black powder guns and cleared them and cleaned and return to him!

As an old POST/NRA instructor that came up in the revolver days.....
We had a 3 step process to unload a revolver..
1. Eject the rounds USING THE EJECTOR ROD, gravity OFTEN FAILS to drop all of the rounds from the cylinder
2. Count the rounds in your hand or on the table.. or where ever you ejected them
3. Look at the cylinder to see if any rounds did not come out

But even after that, to point a weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy is a bad, bad idea.
If someone wants to test a theory, buy a replica gun .... avoiding injury or death is well worth a few dollars.

It's as simple as muzzle control. It really doesn't matter whether it's loaded or not if you always practice muzzle control.
Even when I de-cock my double action handgun I always point in a safe direction.

Anybody that points a firearm at themselves or someone else without the intentions of killing them and pulls the trigger, is an idiot.

UNFORTUNATELY, more people get "KILLED BY EMPTY GUNS" only takes a few more seconds to make sure the all of the bullets are cleared "INCLUDING THE CHAMBER TOO!!!". JUST THINK ABOUT, have guys hand me a gun to look at, either drop out the magazine, and operate the slide at least 3 times and then look to see it a round is in the chamber, if a revolver ease the cylinder out check to see if all the bullets are out and inspect the chamber to make sure it is clear..

Have been question several times at gun stores why are you clearing the gun again I just cleared it in front of you.

Told them not that we do not trust you, however we prefer to check any firearm any time we look at it many people always have one in the chamber in case of immediate need, we do not wish to be in need of
medical assistance or a defense attorney....

In my house a firearm is cleared twice every time it is handed to another person. It doesn't matter if the same gun is handed to different people either. The person in control at the time clears the gun, the person taking the gun clears the gun. This is repeated as many times the gun is handed to another person.

In my house a firearm is cleared twice every time it is handed to another person. It doesn't matter if the same gun is handed to different people either. The person in control at the time clears the gun, the person taking the gun clears the gun. This is repeated as many times the gun is handed to another person.

I was taught from an early age that you treat all firearms as if they are loaded, which leads to muzzle control.

One of the rounds could have jumped the star.
If it had jumped the star. The cylinder can not close. The rim of the brass prevents the star from recessing into its slot. With the star protruding, the cylinder will not close.

Years ago I had a well meaning guy try to push the idea that like the automatics, we ought to keep the barrel of the revolver horizontal and pointing towards down range during the reload cycle. If the round jumps the star and the star ejection rod is released the spring will seat the round in the cylinder disabling the weapon, unless you happen to have something long and skinny handy to poke the expended shell out.

Back
Top Bottom