• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22 suppressor host?

For squirrel hunting, when you may only get a head shot at a small critter 25 yards away up a tree, I vote for a rifle.
But even though a bolt action is generally more accurate and quieter, you said you want it to be a fun gun for plinking, too.
So make it a semi-auto .22 rifle or carbine.

I have no experience with the S&W MP-15, but it sounds like a good option.
Any gun with a factory-threaded barrel will save you money.
My host rifles for my AAC "Pilot" suppressor are both Ruger 10/22s. And both of them had to have their barrels done by a gunsmith.
I really wish Ruger offered a 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel, especially if it were a 16" barrel. They'd sell like hotcakes.
Sure, you can buy an aftermarket 10/22 threaded barrel. For $200 or $300. That's a budget-breaker.

This is me "hunting" (staged photo for GON article) with my 10/22 with the 22" Green Mtn. threaded barrel and the factory standard wood stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
Just to throw a monkey wrench in there. What does everyone think about these new threaded ruger chargers they are coming out with?? Looks like a decent host for the money

Just to throw a monkey wrench in there. What does everyone think about these new threaded ruger chargers they are coming out with?? Looks like a decent host for the money

IMO, no

A 22lr host that isn't going to have a full length barrel should not have a barrel longer than 5".

Reason being, barrels longer than 5" tend to make bulk pack ammo supersonic, and it is much easier on your wallet and easier to find if you can just pick up bulkpack for subsonic ammunition. I think Ruger missed the dot by making the charger barrels as long as they did, should have made a 4.5" barrel model.

For a bolt action I would get the CZ 455 or CZ 455 tacticool model

Note: the Savage FV-SR is great, the CZ's are better.

For a semi-auto rifle I would go with a 22lr AR15 upper, I recommend SBR'ing it and putting a 4.5" barrel on it. CMMG sells the bolt and a 4.5" barrel in a package.

For a pistol I say the GSG 1911, its really a surprisingly quiet action. For more capacity check out the S&W M&P22 or M&P22compact.

For squirrel hunting, when you may only get a head shot at a small critter 25 yards away up a tree, I vote for a rifle.
But even though a bolt action is generally more accurate and quieter, you said you want it to be a fun gun for plinking, too.
So make it a semi-auto .22 rifle or carbine.

I have no experience with the S&W MP-15, but it sounds like a good option.
Any gun with a factory-threaded barrel will save you money.
My host rifles for my AAC "Pilot" suppressor are both Ruger 10/22s. And both of them had to have their barrels done by a gunsmith.
I really wish Ruger offered a 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel, especially if it were a 16" barrel. They'd sell like hotcakes.
Sure, you can buy an aftermarket 10/22 threaded barrel. For $200 or $300. That's a budget-breaker.

This is me "hunting" (staged photo for GON article) with my 10/22 with the 22" Green Mtn. threaded barrel and the factory standard wood stock.
Ruger 10/22 tactical.
1261Black SyntheticStandard16.12"36.25"13.50"4.30 lbs.$329.00
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/models.html
ruger1022FStactical.gif

Back
Top Bottom