• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.223 Advice

Barnes Vor-TX, 55 gr TSX is an evil little pill. My daughter and I are 8-for-8 on deer with that load. All were clean, one-shot kills, from 70# does to a 165# 8pt.
The attached pic is a shoulder shot that destroyed the heart and broke both shoulders upon passing through.
The cavitation resulting from that round is crazy.
As with any round, shot placement is paramount.
image.jpeg

Honestly I know a lot of people that put their faith in a .223. I'm just personally not one of them. All three of my little ones I started on a .308 AR platform. From a tower stand with a rest. The .308 ar gas very little recoil my daughter was shooting it at 6yo

Honestly I know a lot of people that put their faith in a .223. I'm just personally not one of them. All three of my little ones I started on a .308 AR platform. From a tower stand with a rest. The .308 ar gas very little recoil my daughter was shooting it at 6yo
This is also a VERY good option. My Daughter used one this year on a youth hunt. It's a tad heavy for her, but as you stated, in a tower with a bull bag or a steady rest is ideal. That's exactly what we did.
image.jpeg

This is also a VERY good option. My Daughter used one this year on a youth hunt. It's a tad heavy for her, but as you stated, in a tower with a bull bag or a steady rest is ideal. That's exactly what we did. View attachment 940303

Yeah all three of my kids started on that set up and my oldest got his first bolt rifle (savage axis 7mm-08 youth) this past Christmas. I've shot plenty of coyote and bobcat with the .223/5.56 and I'm sure it can do the job for deer. But with youth you can't always expect to get the shot placement your going to get with an experienced hunter. And when your sometimes dealing with inches I just personally prefer the larger round.

Not to mention most of the time when my kids do get to hunt with me its evening hunts. And while I love any opertunity to take them there are few things I hate worse than tracking a deer at night. Even having a tracking dog I just hate recovering a deer and cleaning it at night.

Back
Top Bottom