• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

Who is supporting a single shot of any caliber? I dont care if I am shooting with my 22, 45, or 308... I am shooting until the threat is neutralized, the weapon runs dry, or I am unable to shoot it for whatever reason.

That last part is the key. The ineffectiveness of a 22 in self defense makes it much more likely that you will not stop the attack before the attacker gets to you or returns fire and the REASON you will be "unable to shoot" is because you're dead.

And again, the outcome of a defensive encounter is most often determined by the first one or two rounds fired.

Last edited:
That makes no sense. If you can do as much damage with a 22 as with a 45, why do you feel the need to carry a 45 and why WOULDN'T the 22 be your first choice?

b/c my .45 increases the size of my balls

but seriously, b/c of the aforementioned issues of reliability with 22 and as you states, b/c I can comfortable and confidently carry and use a larger caliber. My wife cant... so the 22 for her. If I am unarmed and the .22 is the closest thing.. .that is what I am using.

the difference between my argument and your is that you are trying to invalidate the 22LR round as a viable means to protect yourself. That is simply not true.

Guys, think of it as a boxing match. If one person has a weak jab and the other person can just walk though it, who is most likely to win the fight? A 22 is a VERY weak jab.

b/c my .45 increases the size of my balls

but seriously, b/c of the aforementioned issues of reliability with 22 and as you states, b/c I can comfortable and confidently carry and use a larger caliber. My wife cant... so the 22 for her. If I am unarmed and the .22 is the closest thing.. .that is what I am using.

the difference between my argument and your is that you are trying to invalidate the 22LR round as a viable means to protect yourself. That is simply not true.

OK, how about this. You say a "viable means to protect yourself". I say a it's only a desperate means to protect yourself and I try to avoid as many desperate situations as I can.

I keep a ruger mark 3 in my truck cause a .22 will kill ya just as dead. not to mention i have fun with the brick of ammo under my seat when i wanna hunt squirrels.

But it won't kill you just as fast. This brings us back to the idea that I want the bad guy to die BEFORE he kills me, not AFTER.

a guess this will just be an individual choice then... aint no convincing me and I aint gonna spend anymore time on it. I have a great book to read until my "work" day ends.

But meanwhile... back in reality.. I would venture to say that the vast majority of us, if not all of us in this particular thread (myself including), have not shot anyone with any caliber and most likely never will have too... so as far as I am concerned here, the bulk of this thread is just posturing and ramblings based on what we have or have not read or heard, personal preference and bias, etc.

If I ever have to cap'a'fool with my .22LR I will report back and let you know what happened. Hopefully there will be two bad guys so I can shoot the other one with my .45 for a side by side comparison.

Back
Top Bottom