• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

View attachment 129861
Forensic Replica Skull with .22 Caliber Gunshot Wounds $225

Description : This specimen represents a female with three small-caliber gunshot wounds to the head. The wounds, entering in the occipital bone and exiting through the opposite temporal bone, were determined to have been the cause of death for this individual.

Ouch!!

I will trade this skull for a 10/22. :)

Relying on head shots in self defense is such a bad idea and is completely impractical.

The OP specifically used the example of a 1522. The combination of accuracy, speed, and capacity make it a viable option under certain circumstances. No one is saying sell your 1911s and buy Jetfire .22s .

Relying on head shots in self defense is such a bad idea and is completely impractical.

Anybody that gets hit with a 22lr in the gut is going to stop whatever is was they were doing. More especially after I pump the other 10. Follow-up shots are likely to be more accurate when your weapon is more controllable. Most self defense ranges are within 20ft. This is point blank for most all firearms. I like my 1911 and G22 but I am sure that a 22lr will get the job done at these distances.

How about making the gun at hand a good one and LIVE trying instead.

meh... I have a gun in every room of the house. I am not concerned with a home invasion as I will still use what I am closest to. I am not buying 10 g30's or stocking every room with a 308 battle rifle. Having only a few guns, I am extremely proficient with each of them.

I was in the kitchen the other day and heard a loud bang on my front door, I grabbed my hidden Ruger 22/45 and at no point did I feel that if someone kicked open my front door that I would be undergunned. Turned out it was just some lazy ass throwing phone books, but either way. To each their own

I will make the same challenge here that I have made to over 1000 firearms instructors.

Give me ONE example of a PRIVATE CITIZEN who was injured or killed after shooting their attacker with a .22. I have hundreds of examples of incidents where .22s worked just fine. Incidents involving law enforcement trying to take a criminal into custody or military personnel shooting fanatical savages overseas are NOT germane to this research.

I'm waiting.

I have to agree w/ "Headhunter". There have been entirely too many DOCUMENTED cases of criminals being stopped or killed w/ multiple .22 wounds to completely discount the rounds effectiveness.
The reason's that I do not prefer it are its higher malfunction probability i.e. stoppages, dud rounds, etc. along w/ less overall power to penetrate clothing, cover, fatty tissue, etc.

I go back to the sound wisdom of Cooper who said, "Carry the largest gun that you will carry & can hit with." In some cases the lowly .22 is the only choice due to physical impairments.
I've had ladies w/ arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. that just could not cycle the slide on a semi-auto or pull a double action trigger on even a slicked up revolver who could do so on some of the .22's that we use in class as loaners.

While I agree that the .22 is not necessarily the best or the preferred choice at all... it is still much better than the proverbial "sharp stick".

For those who are limited to its use we practice drills on the range of unleashing a "barrage" of bullets into the target at one time. Very few antagonists would be willing to advance toward a "wall of lead" or "hail of bullets".

All of those individual wound paths penetrating into the head & torso collectively are very likely to cause severe damage & probably death.
After all, if you stacked 10-25 .22s in a group what caliber do you think it would be the equivalent of? On paper it reminds me somewhat of a 12 gauge shotgun pattern.

We do also practice, practice, practice malfunction clearances as there is a higher likelihood of one in a rimfire cartridge than a centerfire one.

Also I emphatically state it is CRITICAL to keep the gun, especially the bore, very clean w/ minimum lubricant so as not to foul the chamber or "kill" the primer/powder.
In addition, if the .22 is or has to be pressed into use in a defensive capacity than a load such as the CCI velocitor w/ higher velocity & even more importantly, better quality control than the "bulk box" ammo should be used.

Last edited:
Anybody that gets hit with a 22lr in the gut is going to stop whatever is was they were doing. More especially after I pump the other 10. Follow-up shots are likely to be more accurate when your weapon is more controllable. Most self defense ranges are within 20ft. This is point blank for most all firearms. I like my 1911 and G22 but I am sure that a 22lr will get the job done at these distances.

Those are a lot of assumptions you are betting your life on. There are plenty of incidents where a person gets shot in the gut and they don't even slow down right away.

Those are a lot of assumptions you are betting your life on. There are plenty of incidents where a person gets shot in the gut and they don't even slow down right away.

The only thing I'm assuming is that the prep will be within 20ft. In my house that is not an assumption but a fact. Just carry whatever you feel comfortable with. All I know is that even the little tiny 22lr going in someone is gonna mees some stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom