• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

A nice little sub compact in a 9mm or better will do fine. The more powerful, the better. I prefer the 45, even though they typically have fewer rounds in the mag, because the encounter will almost always be decided by the first round or two.

I carry a Glock 26 at all times and my wife (TacDrivinMomma) ODT, carries an LC9 and she's probably a better shot than me. Just posing the question about the .22lr and appreciate everyone's perspective/experiences.

I have to agree w/ "Headhunter". There have been entirely too many DOCUMENTED cases of criminals being stopped or killed w/ multiple .22 wounds to completely discount the rounds effectiveness.
The reason's that I do not prefer it are its higher malfunction probability i.e. stoppages, dud rounds, etc. along w/ less overall power to penetrate clothing, cover, fatty tissue, etc.

I go back to the sound wisdom of Cooper who said, "Carry the largest gun that you will carry & can hit with." In some cases the lowly .22 is the only choice due to physical impairments.
I've had ladies w/ arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. that just could not cycle the slide on a semi-auto or pull a double action trigger on even a slicked up revolver who could do so on some of the .22's that we use in class as loaners.

While I agree that the .22 is not necessarily the best or the preferred choice at all... it is still much better than the proverbial "sharp stick".

For those who are limited to its use we practice drills on the range of unleashing a "barrage" of bullets into the target at one time. Very few antagonists would be willing to advance toward a "wall of lead" or "hail of bullets".

All of those individual wound paths penetrating into the head & torso collectively are very likely to cause severe damage & probably death.
After all, if you stacked 10-25 .22s in a group what caliber do you think it would be the equivalent of? On paper it reminds me somewhat of a 12 gauge shotgun pattern.

We do also practice, practice, practice malfunction clearances as there is a higher likelihood of one in a rimfire cartridge than a centerfire one.

Also I emphatically state it is CRITICAL to keep the gun, especially the bore, very clean w/ minimum lubricant so as not to foul the chamber or "kill" the primer/powder.
In addition, if the .22 is or has to be pressed into use in a defensive capacity than a load such as the CCI velocitor w/ higher velocity & even more importantly, better quality control than the "bulk box" ammo should be used.

THIS is a practical approach to the idea of using a 22 for self defense. What I get from this post is that it should be restricted to use by those that simply CAN NOT use anything else. That means they are physically incapable of manipulating any other firearm, not that they are not well trained enough to use one. It also requires specialized training because of the weapons shortcomings. Lack of preparation is also no excuse to find yourself in a situation that you or a loved one must rely on a 22 for defense.

The only thing I'm assuming is that the prep will be within 20ft. In my house that is not an assumption but a fact. Just carry whatever you feel comfortable with. All I know is that even the little tiny 22lr going in someone is gonna mees some stuff up.

Your assumption is that a 22 in the gut will stop anyone. Sorry, that's just not true and it could cost you your life to find that out. Worse yet, it could cost the life of anyone that believes you.

OK, you folks that are saying how good the 22 is for self defense, what is your primary carry gun?

I carry a .45 glock 30sf... my comments have solely been from the standpoint of a home invasion. I may be paranoid to keep a gun in every room of the house, but I do not wear a side arm or sling a rifle as I walk around my house. Would a 22 be my first choice? Absolutely not... but could I do just as much damage/killing with it? Definitely. If a bad guy kicks in my front door while I am in my kitchen, he will get 11 22LR slugs center mass. If I happen to be in my living room, he will get 3" mag buckshot

Also, I leave my wife with the 22 b/c she is not comfortable with my 45 or rifle/shotguns. See struggles to rack the slide on the glock. She is a very good shot and most importantly, she is confident with the weapon.

Why does every legitimate firearms instructor teach a "Double Tap"? Because even the most powerful defensive handgun round is questionable in it's ability to stop a violent attack with a single round. But a 22LR is a real man stopper because.... :doh:

My wife has the same set-up w/2 - 24 rd mags strapped together . I told her after the 1st mag maybe she will be settled down enough to start aiming. The 22 will do a lot more damage than people give it credit for. Go for it man.

I carry a .45 glock 30sf... my comments have solely been from the standpoint of a home invasion. I may be paranoid to keep a gun in every room of the house, but I do not wear a side arm or sling a rifle as I walk around my house. Would a 22 be my first choice? Absolutely not... but could I do just as much damage/killing with it? Definitely. If a bad guy kicks in my front door while I am in my kitchen, he will get 11 22LR slugs center mass. If I happen to be in my living room, he will get 3" mag buckshot

Also, I leave my wife with the 22 b/c she is not comfortable with my 45 or rifle/shotguns. See struggles to rack the slide on the glock. She is a very good shot and most importantly, she is confident with the weapon.

That makes no sense. If you can do as much damage with a 22 as with a 45, why do you feel the need to carry a 45 and why WOULDN'T the 22 be your first choice?

Why does every legitimate firearms instructor teach a "Double Tap"? Because even the most powerful defensive handgun round is questionable in it's ability to stop a violent attack with a single round. But a 22LR is a real man stopper because.... :doh:

Who is supporting a single shot of any caliber? I dont care if I am shooting with my 22, 45, or 308... I am shooting until the threat is neutralized, the weapon runs dry, or I am unable to shoot it for whatever reason.

I got my wife a Taurus double action .22mag. 8rnds gold dot man stoppers.
Im not worried about her safety anymore.

You should still be worried. This is EXACTLY why I am jumping all over this thread. The mythology of the effectiveness of the 22 as a defensive round could get your wife killed. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's the simple truth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom