• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22lr through a 5.56 suppressor?

Johninthewoods

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
29   0
Reaction score
Is it ok to run .22lr through a 5.56 suppressor?

Ive got a 5.56 platform that surprisingly prints decent enough groups with a CMMG 22lr conversion kit. I’ve got a KGM dedicated 5.56 suppressor for it and began to wonder if I could run the 22lr conversion with the suppressor as well for a really quiet plinker.

I would only run high quality plated .22lr through it, no load round bulk pack stuff.

Is this a bad idea? Does this lead to excess fouling? Baffle strikes? Bad dreams? Pregnancy?

This isn’t a suppressor made for disassembly, if that matters.

Thanks gents, please stop me from doing something stupid.

I think you will be ok if you’re cool with it being dirty. Blast a couple rifle rounds right after the 22 and knock crap loose.

I have a 22,45, and 308 can and I’ve shot 22 through all of them.

Traditional wisdom says not to because the lead will coat the baffles and 5.56 cans aren't serviceable.

In limited amounts you can probably shoot it pretty clean though. You would be better off getting a dedicated 22 can though if you want to do it a lot.

Anyone have any before and after pics/video of shooting high high velocity rounds through a suppressor to clear out .22lr fouling?

I’m in the camp of never shooting .22lr through a non-serviceable can. Totally agree that a few rounds is likely fine but the cumulative amount over time could cause an issue.

By an inexpensive sonic cleaner, problem solved.

This is exactly what I’ve been considering. regardless of shooting 22lr or not the ability to internally clean a non serviceable suppressor via ultrasonic cleaner seems like a wise thing to do.

Has anyone here done this? Does it really clean it out thoroughly enough? If so I’m sold

Back
Top Bottom