• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

260, 7mm-08, & 308

I have shot a 7 mag for deer and all other game for 40 years. I've gotten in to using my Tikka 7-08 last few years. I've found a great load using Hornady 162 eldx that it likes out to ranges much farther than a 100 yards. Reloading I'm getting about 2650 fps which is really great inside 200 yards with sub moa accuracy. Not much I wouldn't trust using it on. The norm is a 120-140 grain bullet which is a lot faster and still lethal on deer. I've got a 260 but it's a bench gun with a little too much weight for hunting and it's a good caliber with a great bc for anything deer sized. I don't feel under gunned with the 7-08 by any means.

There is a gun shop, on P'TREE IND., BLVD, Sugar Hill/Buford, use to be in LILBURN, has a lot of engraved checkered guns, take
lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$, with you, maybe someone here can name the shop, if we find their name we will report it...

Well, I definitely can't agree more with the nice guns costing more and I've always liked Sako. I had the chance to handle a new Kimber Select and to my surprise, the checkering isn't hand cut (only the Super America's have this treatment). I decided to pass.

I did, however, find something that fit me perfectly with a lighter feel and more compact feel to it when compared to other guns I'd felt with 22" barrels. The gun I liked was the Remington model Seven CDL w/20" barrel. The bolt on that rifle was smooth. I was very impressed with the gun but it had handling marks from being on display so I kept looking and found something on gunbroker.

I ordered a new Model Seven CDL in 260 rem. I debated over the 260 and the 7mm-08 and decided there are enough bullets available to reload both, so I'll try the 260. I also came to the conclusion that I'd be better off sticking to the 100-140 grain range when trying to reduce recoil. If I were to increase the weight past 140 it would most likely be to 154/156 and probably never see anything heavier. I could have done fine with either caliber, as well as the others mentioned, but from what was available on gunbroker at the moment, I just couldn't get over the grain pattern on one of the 260's.

A 140 grain Accubond will cure whatever critter aliments you have in Georgia.

I’d start there with some SC & see what happens.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/260-remington/

Do you know the twist of your rifle?

May have to step down to the 130s for
Box length, but I’d consider a Wyatt’s first....

hsell, The rifle is 1 in 8" twist. I'm not sure what you mean by "SC" or "Wyatt's"?

I happened to find a box of corelokt 140 gr factory ammunition for sale locally so I picked it up. Haven't shot it, scope went back to Leupold for a new reticle.

I read a lot of good things about Interlock 129's as well as some other standard cup and core bullets in the 120-140 range. If I reload I won't push them past 2700 since I shoot primarily inside 50 yards. I'll be interested to see how these factory 140's group.

I have a 1 in 9 twist Shilen barrel in 7-08. It will shoot anything decently, but, so far, it shoots the flat based 162 Speer, hanloaded to 2500fps with IMR 4451 better than anything else. It kicks like a 308 with this bullet.

Back
Top Bottom