• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

260, 7mm-08, & 308

90 GR. BARNES either TSX or the TTSX...

Behind the shoulder, and 3" below the top of the back and you should like the results if placed correctly down in it's tracks. No tracking.

Blow up usually from NOSLER BALLISTIC TIPS, which spreads, the lead core into the meat...

just a simple suggestion to consider, with any lead bullet...

It seems to me that, given all of the concerns you (op) have mentioned, the best choice of the calibers you have listed is the 308, then the 7mm-08, then the 260.

You can always run the 125 Grain bullets for light recoil, short range hunting.

Biker13 nailed it early on in this thread.

Use a 7mm or a 30, and drop them with a Berger hunying bullet.

Not on distance shots Berger's are ok for paper punching, however our experience no good on distance, do not open up so we will stick with what brought us to the dance. BARNES, has done the dance a lot of times...

just our experience too many times.

I bought a Kimber 84M Hunter in .257 Roberts this year. Mine must not have read any reviews, as it is one of the most accurate hunting rifles I own. Regularly puts 3 in well under an inch if I do my part and don't let the barrel get too hot.

Regarding performance on deer - second shot was not needed. I killed two bucks with it this year, using Nosler's Trophy Grade 110 grain Accubond. One fell without quivering, the other made it almost 50 feet before piling up.

May be my new favorite whitetail caliber.

Regarding Nosler Ballistic Tips - I've hunted with them for years and never had a problem with over-expansion or losing game. I don't take shoulder or spine shots. I favor double lung/high heart, or the neck/head to save as much meat as possible.

In the 7mm-08, I like the Nosler 120 grain BT factory load.

257 ROBERTS, 257 IMPROVED, 257 ACKLEY IMPROVED, are good guns, they were wildcats, they never really caught on very well because of ammo being hard to find on store shelves.

The little brother/sister the 243, which took off in a rush, it is a good fast, flat shooting rifle.

We have used both in a pecan orchard, on unsuspecting Deer eating , and cracking pecans to eat, best tasting venison we could have taken and enjoyed the flavor in the meat was terrific...

We really enjoyed the 257, in the above however in the 25 cal., our favorite is the 25-06 Remington 700, SENDRO, HEAVY BARREL, Heavy yes, 26 inch barrel, it loves the 117gr., 120 gr., Nosler Accubonds, the 100 Barnes TSX/TTSX,
we like the solid copper bullets, a cleaning chore yes, however they do deliver. Nosler, makes a few bullets we enjoy loading, however lead in the meat caused us to moved to BARNES, we haven't been sorry since.

We bought a 25-06, a long time ago really before most people in the south had not even heard of the caliber, and thought it was no more than a plinking round from the Midwest, after many Deer, taken here in Georgia, did several friends begin to ask many questions and started to buy the 25-06 caliber, and now will not shoot anything but the 25-06 caliber. Funny that ones made fun of the caliber that swore against it, now swear by the 25-06 Rem, really funny...

We also enjoy the .264 cal also, several guys have them, we set them up with 20 moa rails, 10x40x50 scopes, and working up loads. .264 cal., includes, 264 Mag, 260, 6.5 creedmoor, the new 6.5/300Wby. Mag, and of course the 26 NOSLER. All are great rounds and deliver what the user needs and demands.

Everyone, has their favorite caliber, gun maker, action, short and long actions, its all above the fun, the zest, the zeal of finding your favorite gun, barrel length, caliber, and the load that you chose for your specific game chase...

our greatest freedom is that we can have, own, and can use which gun/s we wish to use.

we have been blessed to set-up some rifles for friends, besides they have the expense, and habit, and we get the pleasure, of free shooting, powder burning, and free time behind the guns at the range bench...

just a simple suggestion to consider...

I bought a Kimber 84M Hunter in .257 Roberts this year. Mine must not have read any reviews, as it is one of the most accurate hunting rifles I own. Regularly puts 3 in well under an inch if I do my part and don't let the barrel get too hot.

Regarding performance on deer - second shot was not needed. I killed two bucks with it this year, using Nosler's Trophy Grade 110 grain Accubond. One fell without quivering, the other made it almost 50 feet before piling up.

May be my new favorite whitetail caliber.

Regarding Nosler Ballistic Tips - I've hunted with them for years and never had a problem with over-expansion or losing game. I don't take shoulder or spine shots. I favor double lung/high heart, or the neck/head to save as much meat as possible.

In the 7mm-08, I like the Nosler 120 grain BT factory load.

I am all in favor of breaking a bone with my shot to keep the runs short. My property is only 2 yards wide at the smaller end, which is of course where all the acorns are. I fugure a slug in the shoulder should stop him in his tracks. The two that I saw yesterday behind my barn I could have hit with a brick, they were so close.

Back
Top Bottom