• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

30 cal suppressor recommendation

OFace12

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
12   0
Reaction score
Going to be purchasing a suppressor at the beginning of the year, and not sure which to go with. I know this is very subjective, as everyone is going to have opinions, but I'd like recommendations on manufacturers to look at. I'm looking at getting one suppressor that I can use with my 308 and my 223 rifles. Ideally one that is a QD so that I can put a muzzle device on each and swap it over quickly and easily.

So far, I've looked at the Gemtech One, but not real sure where to go from there. I've got 2 in jail right now and they will be my first ones, but without any hands on experience I have no clue what I am looking for. My two that I'm waiting on are a Sparrow22 and a Dead Air Ghost-M. Did it that way to have one for my pistols and carbines and one for my 22's. Now looking to add for my centerfire rifles.

Any recommendations and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Decide on what's important to then start narrowing the search down from there. I have an Omega and love it. The fact that it comes with a muzzle brake on it is helpful for follow up shots and staying on target to watch trace and hits/misses. You and others may or may not see that as important. Pay attention to weight and materials used. 24 ounces may not sound like much, but throw it on the end of a rifle, and you realize the difference that 10 ounces makes. Lots of good options out there now. Take your time and get exactly what you want, the ATF sure will take their time in looking at your paperwork. If you have to save up a bit more to get exactly what you want, do it. You will regretting cheating out down the road.

You have to decide what you want and how you are going to use it. I've got a couple and they are completely different. My Harvester goes to the woods with me as it is super light; but louder on the hunting AR's (308,x39,223). My ARC30 is heavy (about twice) and much quieter to my ear and sees more range time. I will say that hanging 27oz on the end of a Ruger American 308 makes it very nose heavy; but it will ring steel all day long. Also, if you are going to be shooting with cans; make sure to zero with your cans as POI can change more than you would think. Buying cans is a lot like car shopping in that you will get a lot of opinions and everyone has a favorite.

I can provide no personal experience as to what to recommend. All I can do is tell you what I chose. I went with the Rugged Surge 7.62. Supposedly durable, modular, and quick release mount. I figured I would not by another 30 caliber suppressor at the time, so I did not spare much expense and chose what I thought would last me forever. If I ever do get another, It may be geared towards lightweight applications such as the SiCo Harvester, or something similar.

Just came back from the woods with the Harvester sitting on my 7.62x39 AR. Total combo is under 8lbs. Sure beats the 11lb LR308 for climbing up in a stand. Pleasant to shoot; but it is not designed for mag dumps.

Back
Top Bottom