308 multi-use can input please

batoncolle

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
35   0
Reaction score
Well I was ready to pull the trigger on either the Surefire 7.62 Mini or the AAC 762 SDN-6 once one came in stock, but then the shutdown came so now I am back in research mode.

I keep coming back to the YHM Titanium 30 cal QD. I believe the baffles are iconel so the normal titanium concerns do not necessarily apply with it. In fact it is rated for limited full auto use. I am reading good reports on it, and the weight is great although the length is still a little long like the AAC 7.62

I am actually going to use this suppressor primarily on an AR 5.56 with either a 10.5" or 12" barrel, but I also want the option to use it on my AKs and my Remington 700 308. The most rapid fire it would ever see is in training classes which are controlled and generally limited to no more than 1/2 mag at a time.

The main things I am concerned about in order are:

1. Weight and size
2. QD
3. Sound reduction
4. Cost which is way down the list

Any input on my selections, especially the YHM can? Other cans I have overlooked?

Thanks. I actually looked at the Specwar, but it is just a little too heavy. I should have clarified I would like to keep it under 20 oz, and actually that is pushing it. I do very little bench shooting so I want to keep it as light as it can be while still being a solid multi-use can.

yhm 7.62 LT

It's their new lightened an shortened version. Still has steel parts but not the tank the old one was. But unlike the old one it is not rated for some of the heavier 30 cal rounds, just 308.

Or wait for the saker 7.62, the MAAD mount will allow you to attach to AAC mounts, bare threads, and other companies QD mounts. It's supposed to be showing up soon.

Whatever you decide to go with, be mindful that you will probably spend more of your cash buying the specific flash hiders (suppressor adapters) to install on each of your 30-cal rifles, pistols and carbines than you will spend on the suppressor and tax itself. Most adapters are unique to each manufacturer, can be priced from $60-$125 each and are sometimes in short supply/unavailable. Saying this, there seems to be an abundant supply of AAC 30-cal adapters on the market seeing how most all AAC uppers and rifles come with (the AAC can adapter) along with many of the Remington firearms coming with AAC adapters as standard equipment. I like AAC because they are local and I like their adapter's ratcheting-lockup collar. To me, a few ounces weight or a few db's sound difference matter less than ergonomics, simplicity and availability.

Yep good point, and I have definitely taken it into consideration. I generally tend to upgrade my muzzle devices anyway, and right now I have birdcage flash hiders waiting on upgrades on my 2 AR uppers and 1 AK. The only extra muzzle device I will have to buy will be for the Remington 700, but there is definitely some costs considerations, and the Surefires or AAC mounts aren't cheap.

yhm 7.62 LT

It's their new lightened an shortened version. Still has steel parts but not the tank the old one was. But unlike the old one it is not rated for some of the heavier 30 cal rounds, just 308.

Or wait for the saker 7.62, the MAAD mount will allow you to attach to AAC mounts, bare threads, and other companies QD mounts. It's supposed to be showing up soon.

From what I understand, it will probably be 2014 before the Saker 7.62 comes out. Of course if the shut down drags on, it will not matter.

Regarding the YHM LT, I had briefly looked at it before, but I really overlooked it. That is another one I should definitely consider, and thanks for pointing it out.

Does anyone know of any YHM stocking dealers here in GA? I had looked on their site but did not see a dealer list.

if its going on anything but a precision rifle...avoid Ti. the SWR Specwar is looking good. YHM makes the "cant kill it" cans. the LT model seems interesting.

You have to do some serious abuse to hirt Titanium. It's more of an exaggerated problem.

Although I have no first hand knowledge, from what I have been reading, I have to lean toward this side of the debate. As I said before, YHM does rate their Ti can for limited full auto use so that has to count for something.

700 F is the generaly accepted don't go past point with Ti. How many rounds to get it that hot? No clue but I know FA cans aren't made from it. Ti also has some ablative sparking not that flash suppression is of upmost importance. The benefit is less weight screwing with barrel harmonics. Most folks don't care about that. It hit the target, good enough.

Back
Top Bottom