357 magnum cases won't fit

Lobo1

Default rank <5000 posts
Lone Wolf
25   0
Reaction score
Anyone ever ran into this problem. I recently purchased 3 new, factory sealed bags of 100 count each Winchester 357 cases. When I began prepping them for loading I found that about 10-12 per bag would not fit into my shell holder. A few of them would fit if I turned and spun them. I measured them with my vernier calipers and the ones that won't fit are anywhere from 0.003" and 0.006" bigger in diameter at the rim. Should I trash these or can I sand the rim to fit?

I'd try using a fine file and lightly remove some excess. Compare rim thickness too on the bigger ones compared to the good pieces. I 'll bet that you don't need to throw any away.

Are you using the correct shellholder? Rcbs brand is #6. If so, then I would say you have some defective brass.

It's the same shell holder that came with the die set. Bought it new about 8 years ago and have reloaded thousands of 38/357 magnums with no issue until this new brass.

I resized every piece before inserting the primers. But I am talking about the rim.

Edited to add: Lee carbide 4 die set. Shell holder came with the set when I ordered it new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom