• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.380 reloading question

Buckeye76

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
I am just starting to reload .380. While depriming some brass, I noticed casings that had different headstamps. I measured all of them and found them all to be the same size. Due to me being somewhat of a novice reloader, I thought it better to ask instead of having a mishap due to my negligence.

The brass was purchased from the Brass Exchange.

These are the different headstamps: 9x17 - unsure of brand, 9mm Br.C.- This is S&B brass

Thank you for helping me expanding my knowledge.

The 380acp goes by many names...
.380 ACP, .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Court, 9mm Kurz, 9 mm Kratak, 9mm Short, 9×17mm and 9 mm Browning Corto.

When you get once fired brass, be mindful of steel, aluminum or berdan primed brass as this caliber is popular worldwide.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The 380acp goes by many names...
.380 ACP, .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Court, 9mm Kurz, 9 mm Kratak, 9mm Short, 9×17mm and 9 mm Browning Corto.

When you get once fired brass, be mindful of steel, aluminum or berdan primed brass as this caliber is popular worldwide.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. Found out the hard way about the berdan primed brass on one marked 9x17. Glad I thought ahead and bought extra decapping pins.

Thank you. Found out the hard way about the berdan primed brass on one marked 9x17. Glad I thought ahead and bought extra decapping pins.

The best thing I have found for depriming used brass is the Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die ( http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136543/lee-universal-depriming-and-decapping-die . If it is used on a Berdan primed piece of brass, the decapping pin doesn't break (the rod is pushed out the top of the die which is easy to reset). This ONLY deprimes your brass and doesn't size it though.

The best thing I have found for depriming used brass is the Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die ( http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136543/lee-universal-depriming-and-decapping-die . If it is used on a Berdan primed piece of brass, the decapping pin doesn't break (the rod is pushed out the top of the die which is easy to reset). This ONLY deprimes your brass and doesn't size it though.

That's what I am using. I have a bad habit of over-tightening things and had the top nut too tight to allow it to push up. I made sure the the new one will push out if it happens again.

I "broke" the habit of over-tightening when a twisted a decapping rod off of an RCBS die many years ago. So far, my 25+ year old decapping die hasn't broken a pin yet but I have a couple spare rods just in case.

Good luck with the 380s!

Back
Top Bottom