• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4 Simple Steps for Improving Loading Die Performance

1) Seating die: With shell holder installed (or shell plate), raise ram and hold UP. Screw die body down until it contacts the shell holder. Lower ram, insert case, and raise ram. With case in die, tighten lock ring. You don't NEED to use a lock screw at all, but you can. I too use only clamping lock rings or Lee/Dillon lock nuts. I actually prefer Lee and Dillon nuts, particularly for use with die bushings or tool heads.
I find that so far, after over 40 years, I have never had to adjust a decapping rod as received, unless I broke or bent a decapping pin. When I do, I mark on the decapping rod where it and the die body meet so, when I install a new pin, I can align the pin in a case and set the stem back where it was.
2) Expander die: If expander is on a stem, raise ram with shell holder all the way UP. Screw die body down until it just touches the shell holder and tighten the lock screw. Loosen the expander stem, lower ram, place case in ram, and raise all the way and, if needed, help the expander to enter the case. Lower ram, adjust expander until you get the case mouth flare you want and, with expander stem in case, tighten the expander lock nut.
If using a one-piece expander, like from Hornady, you simply use a case to get the expansion and flare you want and, with the case still in the die, tighten the die body lock ring.
3) Powder-through powder measure: The expander is loose and floats, so simply screw the powder die body down until you get the case mouth flare you want and the powder measure actuator is fully cycling up-and-down and lock the powder die down.
With progressives that have die bushings, I often find it better to set-up the powder measure on another station that avoids having the powder measure hit the primer tube or anything else as I adjust the powder die. When everything is correct, I lock the powder die to the bushing and move it to the powder station. With the bushings having several positions for the bushing to enter the press, you can find a position where the powder measure doesn't interfere with anything else.
With tool heads, you generally can leave the measure-to-tool head loose so you can adjust the powder die body without rotating the powder measure and lock the powder die in place when everything is set correct.
4) Seating die: Inspect seating stem to bullet fit and, if required, order a correctly fitting seating stem. Why waste time trying to improve your dies if your seating stem is not a proper fit and seats the bullet crooked?
Place expanded and flared case in shell holder and raise ram all the way UP and hold it there. Turn seating stem all the way UP. Screw the seating die body down until the crimp section hits the case and screw the die body UP two full turns. Place bullet on case and raise ram. Screw seating stem down until it contacts the bullet. Lower ram and screw seating stem down at least two full turns and lock the die body. Raise ram and seat the bullet. Adjust seating stem to get targeted COL (Cartridge Overall Length) and, with the round still under tension, lock the seating stem down.
If you are using the die for crimp, you will need to NOT lock the seating stem, but rather raise it all the way, and adjust the die body down until you get the targeted crimp and, with the round still in the die, lock the die body down, turn seating stem until it contacts the bullet, and lock the seating stem down.
Crimp die: Leave die floating until you get the crimp and, again with round in the die, lock the die body down.

Redding is my choice in rifle dies. They sell a set that includes the Neck Size Die and a Full Length Size Die. The decapping pin can be removed from above the die.

Back
Top Bottom