• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.40 reloading powders

Buckeye76

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
I am looking to change powders for my .40 loads and would like to know what everyone is using.

I've been using vv N-340 and just can't find anything my handguns like. I was able to work up a nice load for my Beretta Cx4, but its just a bit too snappy in the handguns.

Currently I have Unique, 700x, HP38, and a little bit of Titegroup

Suggestions?

Ive used universal, bullseye, and SR4756. Getting ready to try HS6 whicj is likely similar to the 4756. The universal works well as does bullseye, which is a bit snappier. The 4756 was ok too but a bit clunky to meter well.

I use Red Dot.

It is an old dirty powder with a fast burn rate, but it shoots great, makes factory power levels without blowing up the gun, and it fills the case with no room left for a double charge.

I have used it for several years with good results. It shoots soft even at standard power factors. I would not try to make any hot loads with it.

It is very good in every pistol caliber, and works well for plinker loads in rifles.

In the 9, it works well but the loads are often compressed.

It is cheap.

I have loaded thousands of rounds with Clays powder. It doesn't make a hot factory load. But if target rounds are what you are wanting, try Hodgdon Clays. I use it for shooting IDPA and just plinking.

Jaswhit52--

If you were asking if the powders you already have would work, they will work just fine. The Unique will work the best in the CX4, and will safely make the most power of the three that you have, in any gun.

In addition to what others have suggested, any powder made that advertises itself as good in the forty, is good. When the forty came along, powder companies took the time to designate powders for it.

Powder that I am aware of for hot loads:
800x is good but hard to meter and dirty.
Longshot -- have not used
Number 7 -- have not used
Autocomp -- recoil seems stiffer than the resultant velocity represents
Power Pistol -- very loud boom, shoots nicely
HS-6 -- this stuff is fantastic for hot 9mm, would likely work in the 40, but may not fill the case enough to prevent a double charge

Thank you everyone. I've been using Unique for .45 and like the fact that it is easy to see a double charge.

I figured there were a few powders that would work well.

Anyone using 700x for anything? Do you like it?

231/HP38 will work. Unique will work, but it hasn't been accurate in my .40s.
Best powders I have found:
AA5 for light to mid-range loads--most accurate powder I have found for 145-185gn bullets.
Silhouette for mid-range to max loads--almost as accurate as AA5

I had good clean results with accurate #5 and 165gr JHP. There are better powders by far but it served its purpose for me.

I used to make them and sell them to sheriff deputies for practice ammo all the time and they loved it as did my glock 23 and 22, till I found out you can't do that...lol

Back
Top Bottom