.40 vs 9mm I need the help of ODT

.40 or 9mm

• Total voters
Here are the ballistics;

image001.jpg

Note that the .40 S&W round has 50% more energy, knock down power, at the muzzle and at 50 yards that the 9mm.

This is why law enforcement is using this round.

The .40 is even better that the .45ACP, figure that one out. Energy is: mass times vel times vel. The .40 bullet has greater mass and speed than the 9 mm and although the .40 has less mass than the .45ACP it is about 50% faster and the energy is mass times velocity squared so the velocity change adds more to the energy than the mass change.

In my opinion you can ask all the advice you want. However my advice is go to the range with a Glock 19 and 23. See which caliber you like better. Does not have to be a Glock but something that will give you a good comparison of the round and not the firearm. I like the 9 and .40 also don't feel the snap of .40 like some claim.

Yeah, I agree, I've sold all my 40s off and gone with 9s although I liked the 40. The Glock 23 is still one of my favorite guns... it was just too much more money to shoot a lot (vs 9). Although, 40 is might be a lot more available right now? Weird times... glad I stocked up on 9mm :)

The .40 is even better that the .45ACP, figure that one out. Energy is: mass times vel times vel. The .40 bullet has greater mass and speed than the 9 mm and although the .40 has less mass than the .45ACP it is about 50% faster and the energy is mass times velocity squared so the velocity change adds more to the energy than the mass change.

While that may be true, 10mm beats them all.

Two points to consider:
40S&W is a common enough round that everybody sells it.
40S&W is a (relatively) uncommon enough round that it's not as subject to panic buying as others. When 9 and 45 are sold out, there will usually still be plenty of 40.

Back
Top Bottom