.40 vs 9mm I need the help of ODT

.40 or 9mm

• Total voters
I have shot a crap ton of rounds through my Glock 19/23. I don't notice a difference in recoil between the two and right now 40 is easier to find. Not only is 40 easier to find, but guns in 40 usually sell for much cheaper than their 9mm counterparts.

Think of a Mopar 318 V8 small block vs a 340 V8 small block. Both are pretty powerful and both can be blown or turbo charged but when all things are equal the 340 will be in front. They both are still small blocks.

What is the old adage about displacement?

I carry a 9mm but on my night stand a Glock 22 with good SD ammo rest next to a shotgun.

If the 9mm works for you, go for it. I can understand the military's hatred of 9mm when they are using fmj's in their m9's. We on the other hand have no Geneva convention and thus we have the ability to use good bonded hollowpoint rounds. I upped from the 9mm, but it had nothing to do with under gunned, 40 is more readily available and I can get a 40 Cal pistol easier and cheaper than a 9mm.

Don't go burning bridges. I've always found that when I get that manic need to swap calibers I end up wishing I still had the other in reserve.

I shoot and carry 40 almost exclusively. Have Glock 27s. I EDC a Glock 27. My wife shoots a Glock 27 and EDC's a Kahr PM40. Right now I have no dedicated 9MMs but I DO have 2 conversion barrels for my G27's. Neither of us has any problem with "snappy" recoil from the 40 S&W. I also like being able to carry the G27 with a G23 mag and spacer and pocket 2 G22 mags in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster giving me 44 rounds and the ability to swap and share with LEO since most of them carry G22's now.

9mm is great for practice, for women and for men with fragile wrists.

.40 is a man's round. It's not "snappy" like some claim. It's only "snappy" if you're a limp wristed pinky lifting tea sipper.

If you want hair on your chest and so much animal magnetism that women flock to you when you walk down the street, convert to .40 today.

Last edited:
Two points to consider:
40S&W is a common enough round that everybody sells it.
40S&W is a (relatively) uncommon enough round that it's not as subject to panic buying as others. When 9 and 45 are sold out, there will usually still be plenty of 40.

Very true, my walnart had about 200 rounds of .40 yesterday at least. All they had in 9mm is 2 boxes of 20 federal jhp's. They have pretty much had .40's this whole time where they will go a month without having 9mm

Back
Top Bottom