• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 acp powder

I've used a lot of different loads and powders over the years. Unique and Bullseye were my mainstays until I got a progressive loader. These days, my go-to load is 5 gr of Win231 under a cast bullet. This load has mild recoil and functions well under a lead SWC of 175gr, 185gr, or 200gr weights. I usually load to an overall length of 1.25". If you want a bit stiffer load, 5.6 gr of 231 under the 200gr lead SWC is still under max, but makes more energy.

Chuckdog, I thought the same thing until our reloading group meetup last Saturday.

Turns out the legal ramifications of shooting someone (should that ever be necessary) with your own self loaded ammo can be turned on you in court
quite easily. This conversation during our group setting really opened my eyes and made total sense once I thought about it. Just relaying what
we were talking about. Long story short you should use factory self defense rounds to be on the safe side.

Bruce

Yea. I don't buy that at all. Prosecutor: "You make your own ammunition to make it more lethal than what you can buy at the gun store. " You: "No sir the stuff on the shelf is much more deadly, but costs 75 cents a round. He got shot with the cheap 10 cents a round stuff."

Back
Top Bottom