• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45acp loads

nelsonatlbuilders

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
80   0
Reaction score
looking for tried and true loads for my full size 1911's. im using 230 grain fmj, and target shoot at my range. usually from 20-30 yards. i ran into several thousand rounds so i havent reloaded any .45acp's but im almost out, so its about time. any input would be appreciated. thanks

5.5gr of Bullseye over a 230gr FMJ and 5.2gr of Red Dot over a 230gr FMJ have both worked well for me for many years.

I shoot mostly 200gr cast bullets in my target pistols. I use a medium dose of HP38 for most. Some seem to do a little better with accurate #5. I of course adjust for best accuraccy. All these pistols shoot are cast lead though, as they are target pistols. As most will tell you if you aren't already aware, cast bullets shoot very clean, without leading, driven at reasonable velocities. Match the hardness for your use. Where you run into serious barrel fouling is when you swap back and forth with cast and jacketed bullets, as these two tend to want to stick to one another, making cleaning a challenge. In carry pistols, I would recommend shooting something that shoots to the same point as your preferred defensive round and staying with jacketed bullets as to prevent excessive fouling.

Any sanctioned chare of Unique will work great with the 230g FMJ or 200g LSWC. But if you want it cleaner and better metering from the measure, use Power Pistol or Win 231. Both are the berries.

Unique was just way too dirty for me in my 45LC so I changed to Titegroup. Works great. Sorry I don't have a recipe for your 45ACP.

I use 4.6 grains of Red ot to shoot competitions and it reduces the recoil, accuracy is great and it meets power factor (barley) and is much more pleasureable to shoot, I use only cast bullets (wheel weights)

Vit N320 @ 4.9gr with a 230 gr FMJ or CMJ. 1.245 (+ or - .003) OAL... I shoot it out of a Government length 1911. This load yielded just a smidge over Major PF (166) at Georgia State USPSA Championships this year... Burns clean, is accurate and meeters great out of my Dillon 650

Back
Top Bottom