• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 Creedmoor question

Major Wader

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
No disrespect intended to anyone who claims this as their favorite cartridge, but I don't get it.

.260 Remington was here first, and does everything the 6.5 Creed does, except usually about 75-125 fps faster.

What gives?

No disrespect intended to anyone who claims this as their favorite cartridge, but I don't get it.

.260 Remington was here first, and does everything the 6.5 Creed does, except usually about 75-125 fps faster.

What gives?

The .260 was marketed from the adoption by Remington as a brush/woods gun.

Remington primarily loaded it with 140 grain Round nose Bullets, not the High B.C. Bullets that Lane Simpson & others used to bring it into the limelight.

It was basically never marketed as a long distance cartridge, & because of this, never took off for the majority of the public because one had to get into loading to see the advantages of the cartridge over a .308.

Most factory twist rates were 1:9, where as a 1:8 is the preferred twist for the 140-142 weight bullets.

Also take into consideration the .260 does better with barrels in the 26-28" lengths.

The model 7s seem to have historically been the more popular factory .260 Remington clambering, & they typically have a much shorter barrel: I want to say 20-22".

The Creed was based off the 30TC, which was all but extinct prior to the Creedmoor Chamberings.

The only upsides to the Creed are decent off-the-shelf match ammo that Hornady has intentionally kept the price very economical , & a shorter case length, which allows for seating the Bullets out about 0.110" more than you can with the .260 if both chambers are to SAAMI.

My .260 was throated for the 140s, & I handload, so I saw no point in buying Brass that was derived from an oddball case.

In a pinch, I could pick up spent .243 or .308 cases, neck them up or down, & be shooting my .260 Again.

At the time, Laupa only offered their Brass in .260, so it was a no brainer for me.

2850fps is easy peasy with a little room to spare with the 140/142 Accubonds & Bergers out of a 26" barrel.

Look up the ballistics, & it becomes obvious why I hung up my trusty ol' .270 Win shooting 140 Accubonds @ 2950.

lot more ammo available for 6.5CM. If i were to rebarrel a 308, it would be in .260...but i handload.

Anyone who is serious about going long is going to have to handload to stay consistent- you already understand this, but a lot of people don't.

Reloading is not hard, one needs to just take their time, & pay attention.

Remington majorly dropped the ball as usual. Ironically they're now starting to offer 700s in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Hornady did a much better job promoting the round over time (but even it is 10 years old now). Additionally they have excellent ammo that's often cheaper than even .308 match ammo. I've shot many thousands of the factory 140s, and the 140ELD factory load makes me question my need to reload for my 6.5s.

They have also done a much better job marketing it and getting companies to chamber the cartridge in rifles.

Back
Top Bottom