• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 creedmore rifle questions

I want to try one at some point. A lot of people like them over the .308 ballistics. I'm up to my elbows in .308 rifles.
They give you about 300 yards more supersonic flight with less recoil than a 308. My attraction to a 6.5 Creedmoor, over something like a 300 Win Mag, is that under the right conditions and using a muzzle brake, you're supposed to be able to watch your own vapor trail at long range. I'll find out if this is true in about a month when I take mine to Arena.

They give you about 300 yards more supersonic flight with less recoil than a 308. My attraction to a 6.5 Creedmoor, over something like a 300 Win Mag, is that under the right conditions and using a muzzle brake, you're supposed to be able to watch your own vapor trail at long range. I'll find out if this is true in about a month when I take mine to Arena.

Damn, that's impressive!

I don't see any use for a 6.5 Creedmoor as a normal-distance hunting or casual target shooting round.
If you aren't going to take it out to 800, 1000, or 1200 yards, you might as well use a 7mm-08, a .25-06, a .260 Rem, or a .270 Win.
(That's assuming you want to fire bullets that are slimmer and lighter than the .308, and with less recoil than a .308 or .30-06).

If you want to take that 6.5 mm round out to 1000 yards, you'll want to spend a lot more than you've budgeted for the gun, and then you should spend even more on the scope.

I don't see any use for a 6.5 Creedmoor as a normal-distance hunting or casual target shooting round.
If you aren't going to take it out to 800, 1000, or 1200 yards, you might as well use a 7mm-08, a .25-06, a .260 Rem, or a .270 Win.
(That's assuming you want to fire bullets that are slimmer and lighter than the .308, and with less recoil than a .308 or .30-06).

If you want to take that 6.5 mm round out to 1000 yards, you'll want to spend a lot more than you've budgeted for the gun, and then you should spend even more on the scope.
^^^What he said^^^

The 6.5 is an outstanding target/tactical round, but for hunting purposes there are better choices.

I did it at 700 on Monday. Not hard to do prone. Just remember the atmospheric conditions have to be favorable

If you are looking cheap, then remember that cheap, quality, accuracy, do not usually or normally come in one package, however for the $$$$$
savages model 12, heavy set-up is dynamite, and then the new Tika T3, if you can find one is simply a great gun also, however cheap does not cut it if you wanna play, you gonna have to pay the piper to play... When playing with really good guns $$$$, ain't the only consideration...

The savage has a two stage bolt, almost all of the other brands only use a single stage bolt...

just a simple suggestion to very strongly consider..

Good luck in your new gun buying quest...

Back
Top Bottom