• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

600 yard question

Shooting my Swiss 1896/11 which uses 7.5x55 at CMP I found that if I center the vertical line in the scope through the target and set the horizontal line on the base of the bottom of the lane marker she's dead on at 600.

Kentucky windage, yo'.

Have you tried using a 20moa scope base? Usually their is plenty of adjustment down on a standard 3x9 scope at 100 yards. By using a 20moa base you limit the down adjustment but increase the up.

Shooting my Swiss 1896/11 which uses 7.5x55 at CMP I found that if I center the vertical line in the scope through the target and set the horizontal line on the base of the bottom of the lane marker she's dead on at 600.

Kentucky windage, yo'.

That sounds like Tennessee elevation.

Dude, 40 MOA at 600 yards is 20 feet, not 5 feet, so not a problem.

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for setting me straight on the math.
I was dividing by 4 due to the 1/4 minute click values on the dial, but I forgot that 1 MOA is a full inch per 100 yards.

So, with over 20 feet of possible elevation gain in my 1" hunting scope, I'll try again. This time I won't be timid about cranking it up as far as it takes, maybe to the mechanical limits of the scope if it's not currently well-centered as I have it on the gun and zeroed at 100 yds. now. When I pull the gun out of the safe I'll eyeball the dial and see if it looks roughly in the middle of its range of motion.

P.S. No, I'm not going to get a new scope base, a new scope, or anything else.
The question is: Can an ORDINARY deer rifle SET UP as an ordinary hunting rifle, go to 600 yards and hit the black? (Well, considering the black is 36" diameter, maybe my goal should be more ambitious than that-- to get maybe a 15" group in the middle of that black, well centered around the X-ring, aiming dead-on.

Back
Top Bottom