• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

8 US soldiers charged in death of fellow GI

From the link above:

At the vigil last Thursday, the soldier's family ramped up pressure on investigators, reading aloud letters Chen had sent home, reflecting the state of isolation he was in from being harassed by his comrades and superiors.

"'Feb. 27, 2011: Since I am the only Chinese person here, everyone knows me by Chen,'" "'They ask if I'm from China a few times a day... They also call out my name Chen in a goat-like voice sometimes for no reason.'"

"'People crack jokes about Chinese people all the time. I'm running out of jokes to come back at them.'"

--
A little knowledge goes along way.

Disagree if you like, but a fair amount of ribbing goes on in forward units. If you name is long, you get the name alphabet soup, a tall guy is called tree, short guy is called stubby, a dude with a cheesy mustache will be called Ron Jeremy. If you gain weight, your friends call you fat. FNG's catch more than their fair share of as they become part of the team.

This kid had options if he felt he was being mistreated, COC, JAG, Army EO Office, his congressman and the Chaplain to name a few.

I have a hard time believing 8 professionals including an officer just chose to pick on this kid because he was Chinese.

I have better than a decade experience in SOF and worked with this kid's command 25th ID in the mid 90's. Guess what I never once heard. "Hey let's get the Chinese dude"

From the link above:

At the vigil last Thursday, the soldier's family ramped up pressure on investigators, reading aloud letters Chen had sent home, reflecting the state of isolation he was in from being harassed by his comrades and superiors.

"'Feb. 27, 2011: Since I am the only Chinese person here, everyone knows me by Chen,'" "'They ask if I'm from China a few times a day... They also call out my name Chen in a goat-like voice sometimes for no reason.'"

"'People crack jokes about Chinese people all the time. I'm running out of jokes to come back at them.'"

--
A little knowledge goes along way.

How does this make the 8 troops guilty of manslaughter?

How does this make the 8 troops guilty of manslaughter?
that would be in responce to you statement below.
You think this guy was picked on for being Chinese? You have obviously never been in the military. We had black, white, Asian, Latin, and some foreign born soldiers. Racism is not at play here.

You Mad..lol
Dont post dumb **** and you wont be called out on it.

I know you won't understand this but I will inform you anyway. A man of sound mind and body does not off himself because people make jokes about him. I caught my share of **** as did every vet I know. I had badges "blood pined" to my chest among many other rights of passage that don't exist anymore.

If you can't handle a little ribbing, how are you going to handle combat? It is callus to say, but he should never have been given a job in a combat unit if he is thin skinned enough to off himself because people are mean.

lol.Im the last person that you need to convince. I think half of the people in America are to sensitive and weak minded.
but for this situation, I do think he was singled out and it got outta hand.

And an added note:
I dont need to serve to be tough.
I have been shot at , stabbed, in more fights than most , taken a pistol away from a guy who was pointing it at me "and stomped
his ass"
Tuff is in my heart. No quit or ***** in me.

You think this guy was picked on for being Chinese? You have obviously never been in the military. We had black, white, Asian, Latin, and some foreign born soldiers. Racism is not at play here.

I would agree with this. I currently serve and competence is the main factor. If you cant do your job you will be made an example of. Regardless of current or past policies. I too would agree the country has become soft and our compassion towards those different has caused it among other things. I am just going to stick my neck out and say if you cant handle it get out. There are more than enough program to assist in discharge for those not cut out for the job.

Back
Top Bottom