87 ford f150 question

Read my earlier post. From what you are describing, you have a classic case of a timing issue. Engine will not want to crank when it is hot. Like a dead battery. When it sits long enough to cool off it fires right up. Beware though, your starter has taken a beating trying to crank it when it's hot, and cranking it when jumping it off.
The guy who said you need a crankshaft bumped his head hard somewhere.

ive dealt with something very similar in the past
with the same models

1st time it was the PIP conn(distributor connector)
wiring was frayed.

and another time truck would die coming to a
stop,turned out to be clogged EGR ports.

they really are great trucks though.

p.s. you can check for a bad crank by looking
at the crank pulley with the engine running.
if its wobbling-it could be bad(this is just a
basic thing to do,but i dont think you have
a bad crank.)

well, I have the F150 back...changed the ignition control module on the distributor and am still having the problem restarting the truck when its been running. I drove it from Rome today and it drove like a champ! Got it home, shut it off, tried to restart, and wouldn't start. After it sits a couple hours, it will be just fine.

Last edited:
well, I have the F150 back...changed the ignition control module on the distributer and am still having the problem restarting the truck when its been running. I drove it from Rome today and it drove like a champ! Got it home, shut it off, tried to restart, and wouldn't start. After it sits a couple hours, it will be just fine.
sounds simple but have the coil checked and or check the wires to the coil.they have a specific resistance

just posted the truck for sale or trade...made sure to list the issue. I want to be 100% honest about it. But I'm done with this truck...will focus only on the Silverado now.

Back
Top Bottom