• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

870 Police Magnum trade-ins

A Police model Remington 870 is made on a separate assembly, in a separate, gated-off area of the plant, by employees that only assembly Police 870’s.

A Police 870 consists of several components that are made of a different material, and to different specs, than a standard 870.

The overall Police 870 is made to tighter specs, with additional QC, than a standard 870.

I have never had a stock Rem870 fail in one of my classes. I’ve never had a modified Rem870 fail in one of my classes due to an issue with the factory parts.

The most unreliable shotgun that shows up in my classes, and with LE agencies that I have trained, is the Mossberg 500. The Mossberg 590 and 590A1 are much better guns.

The “problems” you claim about issues with Remington changing ownership are a moot point in this thread, as the OP stated that the shotgun he purchased dated to 1975.

$429 for a trade-in Rem870 Police, Police Magnum, or Police Wingmaster, is a great deal nowadays.

If anyone buys one, and needs it gone over, or any work done, give me a holler. A lot of these old Police scatterguns spent a lot of time loaded. I’d recommend replacing the magazine spring, at a minimum.
Damn Shep. Opinion officially modified. This man has forgotten more than I'll ever know about guns

I grabbed one. Just to be clear, I own other shotguns but none that have the “character” of this one. I felt bad paying that much for a well worn 870 but it just called to me. It happens like that sometimes.

May just add a mag extension instead of dealing with the SBS hassle. We’ll see.
Pictures????

I picked one of those up myself about 3 months ago from Clyde’s. Same with me. Thought the price wasn’t that good but something about that well used 870 was a turn on. I probably spent an hour going thru all he had on the rack before I settled on on the one I bought. cmshoot cmshoot i may just bring that bad boy to you for a good looking over.
E75B945F-230C-4D3B-9DD6-3F9E31E131F1.jpegED9D0B86-9C2B-463C-AA82-ED79F0C5AAFE.jpeg

I grabbed one. Just to be clear, I own other shotguns but none that have the “character” of this one. I felt bad paying that much for a well worn 870 but it just called to me. It happens like that sometimes.

May just add a mag extension instead of dealing with the SBS hassle. We’ll see.
I had a whole, articulate response written up and I guess my phone didn't post it. Anyway, I have an SBS 870. two things, you are welcome to shoot it and see if you like it and second don't do it.

I spent $200 for a stamp for a $200 gun (not dumb) but the gun, even cut to 12" (end of standard mag tube) is still long. If I want it shorter I need a crazy expensive mag tube and modifications to the bars, then I have 3 rounds total. And it will still be 20+" long. It's about 24" now, yours would be 26ish with the birds head grip, which is a shockwave without a stamp. You'd be better off doing either an AOW serbu if you want silly short, or chopping a spare side by side if you want the smallest cannon possible.

Not super worth the deal, especially when it's still pretty long.

The Mossberg vs Remington debate is like Ford vs Chevy, 1911 vs Glock, Pepsi vs Coke, etc. But my preference is the one that doesn't have the gate you push out of the way when loading. Feel like it will catch my thumb. Don't know why anyone likes that. Picked up a 590 from them the other day and very happy with it.

I was always a Mossberg fan until I carried a Remington 870 in the Navy. I still own Mossbergs but haven't bought a new one in a long time.
Several years back Ed's in Stockbridge got a bunch of police trade-in 870's that had been dedicated non-lethal guns: stocks and fore-ends had been painted an ugly red-orange color and they looked to have been carried in a car trunk way more than they had been shot.
They were asking $299 a piece but gave me a break since I bought 3 that day...maybe the best gun deal I ever made. Except getting that paint off was a pain. I cleaned up 2 sets then just replaced the last one with a set from Hogue.
I think I gave that last ugly set to cmshoot cmshoot

Used 870 barrels are cheap, if you just want to keep it 18”-20” and get rid of the muzzle device. I can cut down long vent rib barrels easily, and they look cool on a “tactical” 870 with a full-length mag tube.

I have several Police and Wingmaster 870’s that were either worked over by me, or Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, or both. My favorite is a 14” SBS. Short and relatively light.

There’s more info contained in these posts.

Back
Top Bottom