• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Hourglass Shape?

OFace12

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
12   0
Reaction score
The few test rounds that I have seated and crimped came out in a little bit of an "hourglass" shape. I have gone searching over the internet and have found that people have attributed it to the carbide die and that it is not tapered.

Is anyone else having the same problem, and if so, is it causing any problems? I read that it hasn't caused any problems in other people's guns, but I still would like more info and opinions from people.

Thanks!
-Reloading Newbie

I remembered that I had the first one I loaded sitting on my desk. This pic is the best I can do for right now with my phone.

IMAG0236.jpgIMAG0237.jpg

So from what I have read, the reason for the hourglass shape is that the carbide dies are not tapered, and they size the entire case to the width of the mouth, and when the bullet is seated, it expands the case down to the bottom of the bullet.

I have yet to find any info saying that a small hourglass is going to be a problem.

definitely happens with 9mm. i've never had any problems with mine firing. as others said once the case is resized and then a bullet loaded mine goes back thru a lee factory crimp die and usually with the bullets i've been shooting (147gr berry's double struck) it ends up being a bit "hourglass" shaped. they all go bang. :)

It will still fire and feed just fine. Just dont do that with .45. They won't feed well in a finicky gun. The solution I found to keep from doing this is to back off a little bit on the crimp until it just crimps it a tiny bit. You are looking for a slight smudge on the rim of the brass... no need to press the brass into the bullet itself to create a noticeable crimp. Again, just barely crimp the case neck so that it takes the bell shape out of the case from where you expanded the neck originally. Nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom