• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Reloading questions

DeaconFrost

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Hey all and Happy New Year! I have a couple of questions if I may ask. I've been loading 9mm for a couple of years now and just moved up to a Dillon 550 from a Square Deal B. Man the blue kool-aid is nice. I've worked up a few very nice competition and target loads with VV N320 and Silhouette using Zero or PD 124gr FMJRNs and am thinking of trying JHPs for the State Steel match coming up. Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between FMJs and JHPs? Noticeable enough to switch over for competition use? Or is it just personal preference? I'm kinda curious to hear what you guys use and why.

The other question is whether ultrasonic cleaners are really worth it for cleaning brass or if that's personal preference also. Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers!

I've used nothing but coated in 9mm without any problems. I now use the 124 grn rn from bayou bullets with 4.5 grns of Unique. Works fine in all my 9mm with standard springs. I have bought some xtreme plated RN but have not loaded any yet. And I'm sticking to tumbling my brass in a vibratory tumbler with pecan shell media (I think it is called lizard bedding? I get it at WalMart) and some Nu-Finish, no need to change what works.

Last edited:
I still use walnut media an add capful of Dillion rapid polish and regular tumbler. Been doing this way 25 years with good results. I also use the plated 124 grain bullets with good results. Use FMJ with 4.3 grains of winchester231 does great.

Last edited:
I've never noticed an appreciable diff in round nose vs. hp, but I don't load for accuracy necessarily. As far as brass cleaning, I think ultrasonic cleaning brass is a waste of time and completely unecessary. I prefer stainless pin wet tumbling because I don't like the dust that dry tumbling produces. The pins get the brass as clean as anything will, primer pockets and all.

Big Dillon tumbler, corn cobb media # 8 or larger, turtle wax, 550 is a fine, however the cats meow, is the 650, now that's a machine not cheap but, production and loads are a dream, if you shoot 115 then load 115, shoot 124 then load 124. Our preference load is what you shoot, then you are not always trying to adapt your shooting style to many different loads.

just a suggestion, good luck on your reloading quest...

I think the 650 will be my next press on down the road. Thanks everyone for the info and opinions. Think I'll stick with the FMJs for now. I know both of my competition pistols like them. I've been shooting 124s since I started and that's what I carry so I see no need to change for now. Thanks again guys.

I think the 650 will be my next press on down the road. Thanks everyone for the info and opinions. Think I'll stick with the FMJs for now. I know both of my competition pistols like them. I've been shooting 124s since I started and that's what I carry so I see no need to change for now. Thanks again guys.

I love my 650, but still use my 550 to work up new loads. It's easier to stop and go with. The 650 just likes to go!!

Every gun is going to have a particular load it likes. I also have been reloading for 30 years and there is no perfect bullett/load for everyone. That is why I love reloading I can experiment to find out what my gun likes. My current 9mm load for IDPA/Gadpa is 147 Gr extreme HPCB (heavy plate concave base) bullet with 3.2 gr. Tite Group That is for my CZ 75 my Glock likes 147 regular plated bullet with 3.3 gr of Titegroup.

Back
Top Bottom