• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Members Poll:; Should I receive negative feedback on a non purchase ?

Should I get bad Feedback??

• Yes.

Votes: 83 68.0%
  • No.

Votes: 39 32.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had someone say they would take one from me about a month back and they backed out.I'm not going to ruin their feedback for it.I just won't have anymore dealings with this person.So no I don't think is right to leave bad feedback.Just my thoughts.

I respectfully disagree. Thats the point of feedback to keep other potential buyers from dealing with the offender. By that rationale why have feedback at all. However in this case..I have always known the "I will take it" as an agreement to purchase AS LONG AS ITS AS ADVERTISED. Now in Gdawgs case i wouldnt have left a negative...If i didnt sell it in a reasonable length of time because i was fiddling with an unsure buyer i would leave a negative. BUT if the gun sold right away id give him a severe lesson in forum law but not negative feedback. Its worth mentioning if I were interested in a gun and some other guy "IWTI" but didnt buy it and I missed the oppurtunity id be really pissed...Just my .02

For me, it's all about integrity and my word is everything to me. When I say "I'll take it" - there is no way I'll back out.
THIS....even if I had to turn around and relist it before my wallet closes I would stand by my word. THere were two other known interested parties in this scenario so reselling would have been nothing but inconvenient and possibly could have happened in the same day. Lesson Learned here is not to be hasty with "I'll take it". Send a PM stating your interest and intent to buy upon inspection and set a close date to meet.

Last edited:
"I'll take it." and "I'm interested." Two totally different statements. You should have said that you were interested. Just as your reason for not buying is not the point, whether or not the seller sold it to someone else is also NOT the point.

If you were standing in front of the seller with a group of people, and he posted something for sale to that group, and you were the first to blurt out "I'll take it", well then you would be obligated to follow through. And if you didnt, you can only expect negative backlash.

Send a PM stating your interest and intent to buy upon inspection and set a close date to meet.

This is the way I would do it also, but as I understood the OP, there was follow up communication to meet for a "LOOK", that says to me that there was an understanding that the deal was pending the outcome of the LOOK" and if either party changed their mind up to and including the viewing..neither should get negative feedback.

While personally I might not have left you bad feedback for it (would depend on a few more details - mainly did I turn away potential buyers because of you) I don't consider the seller's bad feedback unreasonable either. I would think twice before dealing with you again though

This kind of thing is the main reason I will very rarely trade or sell to someone who can't meet in the next 36 hours or so. In the 1-2 years I've been trading I've only had one deal where the other person didn't back out on me (that was Tripod btw) - the other 6 or 7 backed out the night before or the day of

While i would not have left negative feedback for something that only slightly effected me if that is what he want's to do then who am i to say other wise?

Honestly im only leaving negative if i go to meet you and you aren't there, or some other inconvenience to me that doesn't work out.

I've been down this road recently...and I chose not to leave feedback. At times...I wish I had. Other times...I am glad I didn't.

In my case...my post was up literally 7 minutes before I received the "IWTI"...followed by another one 2 minutes after that. I agreed to meet the first buyer the very next morning...and when I arrived at the meet, the seller looks the gun over and starts attacking my price. I told him I would not take less since I had two offers to buy it at the posted price. Sound a little familiar? And no...I am not the seller in the deal being described by the OP...obviously. Guess what...the second buyer followed through like clockwork about 2 hours after I met the first.

Not sure what that particular buyer's notion of "I'll take it"...but it sure did not jibe with my definition. When I say that phrase...that pretty much means I will buy it regardless of condition - or at least poor condition being the only reason I will not follow through with the deal. I've only backed out on one "I'll take it" since I have been here. That was because the seller and I could not agree on a time/place to meet, even after I offered to come to him. I had no hard feelings at the end...and neither did the seller. That's just how it goes sometimes...

That being said...if you did say "I'll take it" then the seller was well within his rights to leave negative feedback for the lack of follow-through. I chose not to in my case...and obviously, this seller chose to do so.

Last edited:
Saying you will take it and then backing out is worthy of negative feedback in my opinion. That is assuming that the item was indeed as advertised.
I can't say how many times I have gotten caught up in the moment and made the impulse buy by saying "I'll take it" because I think something is a great deal or something I've been wanting, etc.
I've missed out on a lot of great deals that have caused enough regret that sometimes now I jump too soon. Sometimes by the next day or after I've had time to think about it a while I really wish I hadn't committed to making the purchase. Heck, I've done that a couple times very recently. However, even when I've found out I could have found it cheaper or was wishing I hadn't committed, I still went through with the purchase because I had given my word. It's not the seller's fault that I had buyer's remorse. I can always turn around put it back up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom