• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Members Poll:; Should I receive negative feedback on a non purchase ?

Should I get bad Feedback??

• Yes.

Votes: 83 68.0%
  • No.

Votes: 39 32.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly new to the forum. Wow....I hate to ask what the item was or value. I agree with badger... inspection is in order before a deal can be fully consumated, especially if you don't have personal knowledge of the weapon or seller. Gentlemen, I believe in an open friendly forum such as ODT, sometimes in the heat of the moment we may sometimes leap before we look, for fear of missing a deal. Would it be appropriate for a seller to hold or post **SPM** when receiving "I'll take it" and possibly lose interested buyers? YES...(especially if positively rated)..but is it worth a negative rating?....It depends! If adequate communication takes place and the seller/buyer don't totally shaft the other...(no shows/weapon misrepresented etc,)..then NO. If the listed item is good, given time, it'll sell one way or another!

Nobody wants to deal with flim flammers but, I have found most ODT'ers are good folks! I'd like to continue to think so!

The words " I'll take it" is what a seller wants to see, some people may need the money quickly for whatever reason. If I am in need of some quick cash, I will look at all offers or I"ll take its and see whom I think would be the closest quickest payer. Maybe we need to post this to the site's rules so that everyone understand its meaning and is on the same page. I think in this situation like this should have been " I am very interested and would like to see it in person." Like I said be for " I"ll take it" to me means I've done my homework, know what I want, I am happy with what I've seen in the ad and I WILL TAKE IT. I agree with you about buying before actually seeing it, some time pics are small and might not show the true condition of the item for sale. Sorry Bro....neg

What constitutes a legal verbal contract folks?

As far as I'm concerned, "I'll take it", without any caveats included, constitutes a commitment to buy/trade plain & simple.

" I"ll take it" to me means I've done my homework, know what I want, I am happy with what I've seen in the ad and I WILL TAKE IT.

X2!

"I'll Take It", means I'll Take It plain and simple!

I posted an "I'll take it" on a gun recently. I then realized it wasn't the gun that I thought it was at first glance, but my word is my bond. I bought the gun (even though it wasn't the one I wanted), and reposted it the minute I got home from the deal.

I think of an "I'll take it" (without any stipulations) as equivalent to ebay's "Buy it now" button. "I'll take it" means exactly that. And the seller then turns away other offers and potential buyers because he is now holding it specifically for you.

While I think it may be a bit extreme for a seller to leave negative feedback when you back out 2 days before the deal (especially when the buyer knows that there are other buyers "waiting in the wings"), I do agree that they have the right to post said feedback.

I learned my lesson with my "I'll take it" scenario and now will only post "I'll take it" if I am 1,000,000% sure I want it.

That being said, I think the poll should read, "Does the seller have to right to post negative feedback in this scenario". Whether you should or shouldn't receive negative feedback in this case requires an opinionated response, whereas whether the seller has the right to post negative feedback is simply based on the facts of the scenario.

Last edited:
Had to vote yes dude. In black and white, it was a deal.

And I don't agree that the situation is a Democratic vote from members. I would feel slighted if I were the other party that felt strongly enough to leave the negative feedback. Had this been me, you said you would take it and I DID decide to leave Neg...I would not be please with it possibly be removed from pleas from the other party. Sets a precedent that anyone can moan and get it removed...so why even have it.

I have never left neg. feedback for anyone and probably won't. There are a few I just ignore. Having said that I also feel like when you say I'll Take It, the deal is on. If you fail to hold up your end of the deal then negative feedback is justified. I would most likely not leave it but it is appropriate. JM$.02

Here's one for you I sent a msg to a seller that had an item I like he sent me numerous email's even called and talked to me on the phone wanted the deal to go thru this afternoon 2 hrs after he said he would call i called him NO ANSWER then I sent him an email to him asking about the deal he changed his mind. Took a couple hours out of my day emailing pictures an so forth just for him to back out when I logged in tonight I checked his feed back he has a neg -1 for the exact same reason he chenged his mind and didnt go thru with the deal. The guy is new to the forum regestered Mar 2011 and has backed out of two deals just to repost his weapon and try again. This guy doesn't need negative feed back HE NEEDS THE BOOT!
I'll Get off my soapbox now as for the question at hand no you do not deserve a negative feedback even if you to had met up you looked at the gun and deceided you didn't want it thats your right until you hold something in your hand and say yes this is what I want here is your money you can and should be able to change your mind.
And to you who say that after you type I'LL take it you go thru with the deal no matter what lets say you looked at the gun and the barrel was shot out you still going to buy? What if there is a crack in the nearly perfect stock you still going to buy? Better think again about saying it's a done deal I go thru with it no matter what after I say I will after looking at a picture online and a few back and forth TXT.

Nobody wants to deal with flim flammers but, I have found most ODT'ers are good folks! I'd like to continue to think so!

Wow! and this after meeting ME yesterday! Talk about naive. ;)

Bass Akwards

The words " I'll take it" is what a seller wants to see, some people may need the money quickly for whatever reason. If I am in need of some quick cash, I will look at all offers or I"ll take its and see whom I think would be the closest quickest payer.

Umm...Ooookay. I think if the time stamp on my "I'll take it" was earliest I'd be kinda ticked about your "merit system" approach to sales. I understand that you have the right to sell your stuff to whoever you want but...well... you'd never get another "I'll take it" from me.

I've had cause to respectfully withdraw in mid-negotiation before. Genuine cause, not.."OOO! A better offer!". Fortunately both parties were understanding, for which I was grateful. I've also had others who have needed to rescind their offers and I have been understanding as well. We are supposed to be more than just customers and sellers here. I always figure if the other party is honest and if the rubber hasn't hit the road, then no real harm done. I gauge commitment more by my gas gauge. Let me drive an hour THEN you just try and back out and see how negative my feedback for you will be.

I agree with what others have said. "I'll take it" means just that (thats assuming the item wasn't misrepresented, I agree to buy a Corvette and dude shows up with a Chevette, I'm backing out too). Did the seller HAVE to leave you negative feedback? No. And in this case if the facts are as you describe, I probably wouldn't. Is the seller within his or her rights to do so? Yes. I believe you should chalk this one up as a lesson learned. Next time, follow the advice given by other users. Allow yourself the option for an ftf inspection. "Sold pending meeting" is a different scenario than "sold". As others have also stated, if you really wanted to keep your reputation completely intact, complete the deal and relist the item if you must.

Last edited:
I'll take it was the 1st error. However, you did call and say you were not 100% sure. That to me puts some culpability on the seller. The seller could have said SPM open to backup offers. He could have also called and told you he had another interested party that knew what it was who was ready to buy pending condition only. This would have left it up to you to buy it sight unseen. Second error was buying one prior to the meet. I have gone thru with purchases that after committing I found for less. Perhaps after feeling one you could have called the seller and said "hey I just stumbled across one for $XX less and was wondering if you could work with me". It's still not ideal but at least the seller still has a shot to sell it. Overall I'd have to go with neg feedback ok, but in the feedback dialog I would not bash you knowing there was no ill intent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom