• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A rash of bad odt members

Most of our members believe that “I’ll take it”, means just that, you will take the gun. I suggest that the phrase, “I will take it, if it functions properly and is in the condition you describe”, be used. What if the pictures do not show the true condition of the gun? I am not talking about a seller who is trying to deceive, but let’s face it, your idea of a 95% gun may be much different than my idea of a 95% gun. Small scratches disclosed in the ad by the seller, may turn out to be huge scratches to you the buyer. What if the gun does not function properly? Again, not saying the seller is out to deceive anyone, but I have sold guns that I did not have a bunch of experience with, and maybe the seller just did not know of a problem. If you say “I’ll take it”, in my opinion, you are obligating yourself to buy that gun at the agreed upon price….period! As a seller, I would totally understand the buyers concern and would be glad to accept “I will take it, if it functions properly and is in the condition you describe”. Just my opinion.

I agree with this for sure. If you say you will take it in a PM, and the gun is not what you thought it should be, you get a neg. Not a good situation.

I agree with this for sure. If you say you will take it in a PM, and the gun is not what you thought it should be, you get a neg. Not a good situation.

This is part of why an I'll take it does not hold water. There are tons of different scenarios that could happen. Lets say a buyer post I take it, commits to a deal, shows up and the item is not in the condition when they meet. You DO NOT have to buy an item once you show up if it is not presented correctly. We (mods) are more concerned on the committed deal part as we do not get into debates on conditions unless it's an obvious item like a brick of ammo or something like that.
On the flip, someone could get buyers remorse show up to the deal, say they don't like then leave. We that is wrong too. It is buyer/seller beware. I suggest lots of info and pictures in ads and PM's so when we need to look into a situation, the more info you have the more we can do.

This is part of why an I'll take it does not hold water. There are tons of different scenarios that could happen. Lets say a buyer post I take it, commits to a deal, shows up and the item is not in the condition when they meet. You DO NOT have to buy an item once you show up if it is not presented correctly.

This is exactly why I do not use the phrase "I'll take it". Because if I used that phrase, I would feel obligated to complete the transaction, regardless. Some may feel differently, and that is fine also.

After further review, I withdraw my suggestion. Let the Feedback system and shunning of bad members do the work. The less Mod involvement the better.

How do you shun bad members, you can't even bring attention to their crappy feedback without getting a warning. Well some people can and yes I just checked and the post are still up but every time I do I get slapped for it.

Had an established member pm me and say "I'll take it" on some ammo I had listed earlier today. Now, 6 hours later he pm's me and said he could only offer me a trade. I had already pulled my ad and everything. What a flake. I'm not certain if I can neg him, but I would if I could. He said "sorry for the misunderstanding", but there was no misunderstanding. I mean ****, it was only a $60 deal. Oh well, I hardly ever have a bad experience here. I suppose something like this happens occasionally to all of us. He's the first guy to go on my ignore list.

Wow that sounds familiar, bet I know who that asshat was, if not he has a twin.

This is part of why an I'll take it does not hold water. There are tons of different scenarios that could happen. Lets say a buyer post I take it, commits to a deal, shows up and the item is not in the condition when they meet. You DO NOT have to buy an item once you show up if it is not presented correctly. We (mods) are more concerned on the committed deal part as we do not get into debates on conditions unless it's an obvious item like a brick of ammo or something like that.
On the flip, someone could get buyers remorse show up to the deal, say they don't like then leave. We that is wrong too. It is buyer/seller beware. I suggest lots of info and pictures in ads and PM's so when we need to look into a situation, the more info you have the more we can do.

If a grown man that owns or wants to own guns doesn't have the common sense to say "I'll take it pending inspection" just in case the pics or info aren't crystal clear then I'm going to say they should probably find a safer hobby. There is no good reason that I can think of to disallow negatives for an unqualified "I'll take it" response to ads unless you want to protect liars, cheats and men that have to go ask their wives for permission to buy something. You might as well put an "I call dibs" button in the ads.

So what about "I'll take it" for shipping only items? For example, I had a set of grips for sale with shipped prices listed & got this pm. Are the grips still available? If so I'll take them. Thanks

I sent my payment info a couple of times and they never responded and they have more post and feedback than me. If you say that deserves a negative I'll smack that ****** down tonight.

I have put out an "I'll take it" and had the seller send me a PM saying that he's got a deal pending already. Then I've found another one, made a deal on it, only to have the first seller come back and try to take me up on my "I'll take it" and had to tell him that when he told me SPM, I continued my search and found another. Other that that, "I'll take it" should mean just that.

Definitely a reasonable exception to the rule, and I'm sure part of the reason "I'll take it" means nothing until the deal is sealed.

How do you shun bad members, you can't even bring attention to their crappy feedback without getting a warning. Well some people can and yes I just checked and the post are still up but every time I do I get slapped for it.

How do you shun bad members? Use your network of contacts. Send texts to your buddies. Warn potential buyers when you see the bad trader has new stuff posted. Hell, I'll PM you every FYI text or heads up I get

All of this makes sense and is very well explained.

This is exactly why I do not use the phrase "I'll take it". Because if I used that phrase, I would feel obligated to complete the transaction, regardless. Some may feel differently, and that is fine also.

This also makes perfect sense.

If I say "I'll take it" and then I show up and it's not exactly as you described it, then I take it. I mean, I'll give you a verbal thrashing, slap you like a little ***** and take your ****. Will I get negative feedback for that?

I feel left out! Everyone I've dealt with have been stand up ODTers. I even popped a cherry the other day, guy lived in ring gold and with me being in BFE we decided to meet in the middle which sucked but hey it worked. I agree with the "I'll take it" there's another forum I surf from time to time that's like that. If you post "I'll take it" or "I'll take it pending inspection" and your ass backs out then you get the boot. But it cuts down the rif raf a bit I mean sometimes you get a little trigger happy and post I'll take it a little early and start to think you shouldnt have but you gotta pony up. It would cut down some of the window shoppers maybe.

Back
Top Bottom