• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accuracy and 223 from an AR platform brass question

bulletpaluza

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
263   0
Reaction score
How important is brass to accuracy? If I load my match ammo and have different headstamps is it going to cause me irregularities in my accuracy?

I guess this question goes for any caliber but I'm curious to what yall think?

I typically sort my brass for small batch match ammo but I need a larger quantity and don't have what I need all in the same head stamp for this run.

What say you?

How important is brass to accuracy? If I load my match ammo and have different headstamps is it going to cause me irregularities in my accuracy?

I typically sort my brass for small batch match ammo but I need a larger quantity and don't have what I need all in the same head stamp for this run.

What say you?
Definitely matters. Different brands have slightly different capacities so putting the same charge weight in a case that has higher or lower capacity than the one right next to it will give you different velocity. For hunting or plinking ammo I don't worry about it much but for target shooting accuracy absolutely sort by head stamps.

For me, although it makes some deference, it does not make as much difference in the 223 as it does in the larger calibers. I have a 30.06 and 7mm-08 that shoot markedly better with matched brass than they will with mixed brass.

As far as how much difference—-it varies from gun to gun. My Rock River AR shoots better than my other guns regardless of the brass and loading used.

What say you?
How far u shooting it?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I've not done it myself, moa is good enough for most of my applications, but have been told by multiple old timers who shot bench rest to sort by case weight and then volume paying little heed to stamps, just case condition, for best accuracy. These are of course cleaned and trimmed first.

Consistent brass is very important in accuracy. Buy lapua brass and be done with it. You can go the other route and measure, sort, trim, turn and anneal and still wind up with very little all the same after your done but it’s possible. If your goal is accuracy constantly check brass every time you load and don’t be afraid to kick some out of the box if they’re not consistent with the other brass. There are things with reloading that folks overthink but bullets and brass can’t be scrutinized enough in my opinion.

Matching head stamp doesn’t mean squat, it’s case volume that’s the most important in brass to keep loads consistent. Outside of that, brass is the least important component in the search for accuracy. Also, accuracy is subjective precision is not.

Matching head stamp doesn’t mean squat, it’s case volume that’s the most important in brass to keep loads consistent. Outside of that, brass is the least important component in the search for accuracy. Also, accuracy is subjective precision is not.
The case neck doesnt matter then? Why does my poi change when I change neck tension? What if all cases had the same volume but different neck thickness or out of round necks?

Back
Top Bottom