• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"AD"in Nashville last week by an instructor.

A little back story.
A guy name Buford Tune, yes thats his real name, has been an "instructor" for many years. There has always been the love-him, hate-him crowd surrounding his teachings. He worked under a company called, APPS, (Academy of Personal Protection). Lately he has been working for a gun store called Gun City, that lost its FFL last year due to major violations.

Last week he was teaching a class and while "clearing" a S&W P-99 it disharged, removing his pinky.

The story is like a tomato plant, it just keeps giving, and giving, and giving....I wil copy and post some from another discusion board in a few minutes.

Buford in his own words:

Re: From Buford Tune about the accident.

This weekend (May 14th, 2011) I was injured in security class when a student’s handgun accidentally discharged in class. I was injured and will require some surgery. Fortunately, no one else was physically injured and my injuries were not life threatening. Several have called to ask what happened and how I was doing. I thought it would be appropriate to share the facts because rumors, even well intended ones, can get out of control.

Our longstanding policy is that we tell EVERYONE that they shall NOT bring any loaded firearms, magazines or speed loaders into the classroom. Everyone is required to bring their ammo separate so the firearm, equipment and the ammo can be checked during the class so that potential problems can be addressed before we get to the range.

A student violated that rule and brought a handgun (Walther P99, .40 cal) into the classroom with the magazine removed but with a round chambered. The handgun was in a case and he said that the gun was unloaded. I picked up the gun out of the gun case to inspect the handgun and verify the condition and was holding the gun in my right hand and pushed the slide back with my left hand to check the chamber nonetheless. The gun, which has a striker firing mechanism, discharged while being racked. The round struck the first joint of my little finger on my left hand.

I always try to be as safe as possible in the classes and on the range. However, accidents do happen and although most accidents can be prevented there will be times when an accident or a malfunction will still happen. We train to anticipate these problems but even that training is not a 100% guarantee that nothing will go wrong.

The rumors and the Monday morning Quarterbacks’ have already started. I would like to remind everyone that if you were not here you do not know what happen and if you want the truth and not the rumors and tales call APPS and do not listen to the street talk.

Thanks to all of you,

Buford

And it actually gets better from there. I started hearing part of his "training" sesions he makes the students dry fire while pointing the gun IN his face. i am not kidding.

Accidents do happen and I appreciate his well put response, he doesn't seem like an idiot or arrogant about the incident... another plus. You have to keep focused when handling firearms, it's all to easy to be come overly comfortable with one and forget simple things like a good solid grip on the slide.

And it actually gets better from there. I started hearing part of his "training" sessions he makes the students dry fire while pointing the gun IN his face. i am not kidding.

ok now that's just a stupid idea... I'd have to see a video of it to believe that one. he has a good point about rumors too...

Back
Top Bottom