• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adding in cost of shipping and tax?

sometimes shipping is a lot easier than meeting up for a deal
Yep, I'm generally willing to pay shipping, but can't find anyone to do it.

If I want to buy, I expect to add shipping. But OTOH, I know how much shipping is, and it's not a profit center for the sailor.

I haven't seen anyone asking for tax, but that generally would be a big "no" - I'd have to ask them to show me their Dept. of Revenue certificate.

If someone is asking for shipping and tax, it's a good excuse for some lurking fed boy to accuse them of dealing without a license....you know they already hate private sales because they can't update their "database" that they can't legally have....

Yep, I'm generally willing to pay shipping, but can't find anyone to do it.

If I want to buy, I expect to add shipping. But OTOH, I know how much shipping is, and it's not a profit center for the sailor.

I haven't seen anyone asking for tax, but that generally would be a big "no" - I'd have to ask them to show me their Dept. of Revenue certificate.
I understood the OP was referring to ads where the original purchase cost of tax and shipping was included to justify a higher than normal selling price here on the ODT, not that someone was asking a buyer to pay for shipping, which as a buyer I have done willingly.
It's kind of like someone trying to sell a used car and including the original price, taxes, tags, and dealer prep fees in his asking price.

There was no shipping involved in the proposed deal he was saying that he was charging more because it would have cost me more if I had gotten it online
So he was gonna add on what it would have cost cpr if I had ordered it online with shipping and taxes 😑
You're confused why someone would price their stuff based on what you could get it for elsewhere?

Sounds as though he was just trying to justify his retail prices.

If I sell ammo that I don't need - I'll just look at new ammo cost and set my price below that. Sometimes a lot less to make a deal and to clear out something I'll never use.

I’ve never read a thread discussing how awesome everyone’s sale prices are. So, I don’t really care what others sell their crap for. I know what I paid and I tend to not try for more than that.

Personally, I like the folks that want $2800 for their DD rifles or $2200 for their BCM. It makes all of my listings sell much faster.

You're confused why someone would price their stuff based on what you could get it for elsewhere?
I'm confused on why you would add on shipping cost and tax for something that is priced for a ftf sale. Usually people sell for cost of item or slightly less to make the sale, was trying to purchase some turkish 8mm mauser ammo which the seller agreed had a bad reputation for split necks and hang fires but then insisted it was worth 46 cpr because that's what it would cost if I ordered it online 60 for shipping and 40 for tax would bump the cpr up from 35 cpr to 46cpr. just a bad way to make sales in my opinion was mainly looking to see how everyone felt about the whole thing

Sounds like a good reason to walk away from the deal.

If I buy something that I don't use and want to sell, my cost of purchase, including tax and shipping is a straight loss.

If I want to sell something than more than I bought it for, I have to be prepared for the possibility that nobody wants to buy it. I might SAY that I know what it's worth on the open market, but I don't.
As long as you say "I know what its worth" Or "I will put it back in the safe" people are forced to pay the price you're asking even if its too high.

Back
Top Bottom