• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adding in cost of shipping and tax?

I was going to send a box of Omaha Steaks to a Brother up in Maine..It was a Fathers Day special for $99.00 Then I found out shipping was another $50.00, decided it was to much.

I'm confused on why you would add on shipping cost and tax for something that is priced for a ftf sale. Usually people sell for cost of item or slightly less to make the sale, was trying to purchase some turkish 8mm mauser ammo which the seller agreed had a bad reputation for split necks and hang fires but then insisted it was worth 46 cpr because that's what it would cost if I ordered it online 60 for shipping and 40 for tax would bump the cpr up from 35 cpr to 46cpr. just a bad way to make sales in my opinion was mainly looking to see how everyone felt about the whole thing
Tell him to go pound salt!

There was no shipping involved in the proposed deal he was saying that he was charging more because it would have cost me more if I had gotten it online
So he was gonna add on what it would have cost cpr if I had ordered it online with shipping and taxes 😑
Wow!!!! I wouldn't of entertained whatever they were selling. This is a hobby to more than 99% of us and sometimes you loose $$ and sometimes you may make a little $$, but it's not a damn business for many!!! I don't mind coming down a bit because usually people on here actually use and appreciate the items they're interested in. If there were no added charges for the power bill while he typed the add, he really is giving you a discount lol!!

Why do people add in cost of shipping and taxes on sales that don't involve either im genuinely curious why this is a thing with private sales of ammo and accessories
I've never charged sales tax but I have, and do charge for the cost of shipping that someone wants shipped to them.

I've never charged sales tax but I have, and do charge for the cost of shipping that someone wants shipped to them.

I think the issue is more the claim that sellers appear to want to reclaim all the costs they incurred when they originally bought the object they were selling. In some situations, I can understand why they might feel justified in doing that - but the buyer can always walk away from the deal.

Shipping costs to get the items from the ODT seller to the buyer are completely fair game.

But again, if the price you're being asked to pay as a buyer is too high, you can always just walk away.

Afterthought - it seems the OP was talking about a price on 8mm Mauser ammo. I can't find any out there on the internet for less than 38cpr, with tax and shipping as added costs.

Shipping maybe , but taxes on odt 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
If you ask me neither. He already agreed to a price and a deal was struck. Unless something catastrophic happens it's a verbal deal. I have had to back out of a few buys due to unforseen incidents. When a deal or transaction shousld I say is struck then any other unexpected price hikes would make me contemplate a NEG!!! If it was advertised as a certain price and then you negotiate it's done. Trying to squeeze in shipping and taxes on a FTF is a underhanded attempt to snare a buyer that he knows is really interested in item or items. Crappy, underhanded, slimy, and a A** HOLE of a way of doing business in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom