• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice for first firearm for a female shooter w/kids at home?

Decocker is a good feature. A p30sk would probly be a winner. A newbie with a strikerfired or sao gun kinda would make me nervous. Maybe a sig if she wants something a little bigger.

Like everyone else said, let her shoot a variety and let her decide what shes comfortable shooting? cmshoot cmshoot what kind of handguns do females usually use in your classes, maybe that'll get him started on what to look at and rent to shoot

Don't let it be a a mystery to her kids either. They should be shown how destructive a gun can be by shooting at filled milk jugs or watermelons, etc. We've done that with all my nieces and nephews and never had an issue with unsupervised handling or misuse of a firearm.

I've spent lots of time with new shooters/owners and when asked the question the OP posits, I find that women who buy a semi-auto that can be manipulated or loaded easily tend to get more comfortable more quickly than those that buy revolvers.

I might be old school (definitely old age wise) but I always recommend a revolver for the ladies. That is unless she is going to go to the range regularly to practice. No worry with a revolver whether there is a round chambered or if the safety is on or off.

Having said that, my wife carries a semi auto but she can shoot it well.

Don't let it be a a mystery to her kids either. They should be shown how destructive a gun can be by shooting at filled milk jugs or watermelons, etc. We've done that with all my nieces and nephews and never had an issue with unsupervised handling or misuse of a firearm.

I've spent lots of time with new shooters/owners and when asked the question the OP posits, I find that women who buy a semi-auto that can be manipulated or loaded easily tend to get more comfortable more quickly than those that buy revolvers.
It's about respect with kids and definitely the mystery

I have been thinking about getting my stepdaughter her first firearm(handgun) for Christmas. What is your advice for the first firearm for a female shooter w/kids at home? She has children ages 5-16, so safety is a concern. Obviously, safe storage of said firearm would be her responsibility. Should I look at a revolver, or semiauto? The next question is caliber 9mm, 38, 45? I guessing this may be her only handgun for a while and she may elect to get her carry permit, but for the time being I'm assuming it will be her only weapon for a while. So reliability, safety and ease of function would be big issues as well. Anyhow, fire away and let me know what you would suggest. Thanks.
4 inch barreled Smith and Wesson K-Frame revolver.

Back
Top Bottom