• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice on Beaver problem.

You can call the county extension office and ask them to do an assessment with a 5-10 year prediction on what will happen if left unchecked. Not sure there’s a way for a stranger/casual acquaintance to change their mind though.

You prob already know this but the Savage fvsr and a suppressor works well to make beaver go away…..…

I can definitely get rid of them (with my Savage FV-SR) and the three S method. There is no hiding how I get rid of the Dam though. I printed out some quotes for dredging and some info on lake stagnation, algae blooms, bacteria, and all the other problems they cause. Hopefully they will agree but if not I will do some "Night Fishing in silence" to clear my frustrations. LOL.

I worked with major timber companies in SE Georgia for several years. Learned one thing about controlling beavers, just from listening to the conversations.

There is no "controlling" them. They are big rodents, they breed like rodents. Given the opportunity, the timber companies would dynamite the dams and any dens they found. Being as there were no clay banks the beavers were much more likely to have the classic mud and stick beaver den. The hope was to catch them in there dens, and kill the rest with concussion.

gh1950 is right there is no controlling them all you can do is break dams to get water moving again. You can kill a dozen in a weekend and if that spot was nice enough for the dead beavers to live in you can bet more will move in fairly quick. There are water control devices that fool beavers.

Going back 40 years, there was a major drought, the Altamaha dropped way down, and small tracts of land that had never been cut became accessible.

One tract in north Wayne County was cut off by a slough and a pond created by the beavers, They started out busting the the dam in the morning with a big cat, bottom was hard enough they could get the trucks in and out, next morning dam would be back, have to start all over. Went on for about 2 weeks, and the producer got tired of it, cause he had to wait until about lunch time for the bottom to harden up.

He went in there on the weekend with a nuclear amount of dvnamite, and blew the whole thing to kingdom come. We were about 7 miles away and could clearly hear the explosion.

He back filled it to make a little causeway, and whatever he did got rid of the beavers until he got out.

I know that they will just keep coming back. The hope is that if I could get the community on board. I kill as many as I can, destroy the dam, and now that I live here permanently I can kill them as they come back.

Back
Top Bottom