• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice Wanted - Scout Rifles in .308

Which Scout Rifle in .308

• Mossberg MVP Scout

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Ruger Gunsite Scout

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Steyr Scout

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Tacos (of course)

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
Currently considering purchase of a scout rifle in 308. I'm down to three candidates, all of which have their pros and cons, and I'm suffering from indecision.

The built out configuration will have an IER or LER scope, and I'd like to stay pretty close to Cooper's Rules on this one, except I'll probably be putting on a KeyMo muzzle brake on it for an optional can.

Not interested in other calibers. 308 hits the sweetspot of BC, recoil, adequate accuracy etc etc for me. Strong preference for stainless. I'm not hugely price-sensitive, but I like getting good value for my money. Planned ranges out to 250 yds, probably not for hunting.

Ruger Gunsite Scout 6829
Pros
* Available in stainless
* I have experience with the M77 action and like it
* While this range of rifles is only 10 years old, the action has been around a lot longer
Cons
* Currently, these sell like lever guns - they're hard to find at any price less than MSRP plus a premium - usually about $1200
* Mags are expensive but lots of choice available

Mossberg MVP Scout 27778
Pros
* Cheap - like REAL cheap - hard to find at the moment, but MSRP is $700, typical price comes in at about $550
* Takes PMAGs
Cons
* Relatively new (11 years ago?), but haven't heard much about it.

Steyr Scout
Pros
* Integrated stuff like 2nd mag in the stock, integral bipod etc
* Sexy as hell
* While MSRP is about $1900, They're readily available for about $1500
* Out of the box, seems to be rated most accurate
* Funky safety (moght be a pro or a con)
Cons
* Doubt if I'll ever use the bipod
* Price
* Mags are even more expensive than Ruger

I have no experience behind the Mossberg or Steyr options listed, but I have a decent bit of time driving a buddy's RGS and it is a very nice rifle. His was all factory, no optic. I'd love to scoop one up and see how my Sandman runs on it.

My RGS is a sub MOA rifle with handloads. Love the Omega 300 on it. A dream trigger for a factory rifle. I keep a 1907 Pattern sling on mine (bipods are rarely useful in the field).

I have both the ruger gunsite and the mossberg mvp 308. Gunsite to me is more for the looks but shoots amazing, mvp shoots great but has synthetic stock so less for the looks more for functionality

I haven't had the chance to try one of these yet but it's on my wtb list

Ruger GSR all the way. Magpul magazines in AICS pattern function perfectly, and my specimen has an excellent factory trigger, loves 150gr Hornady American Whitetail ammo, which is cheap and has performed 100% for me on deer.
No, the GSR may not be a typical deer rifle, but it serves very well in that role.
Yes, that's diy stippling on the grip/forend, no my sling studs are not in the factory position, and the scope mount is slightly less than traditional......but it's incredibly comfortable to hold (especially if it's raining), the magazine doesn't dig in my back on the way to/from the deer stand, and the qd mount is ridiculously solid, repeatable, and lets me keep irons at the ready. Maybe a bubba scout..... but it's my rifle, and there's no other like it. It's 100% form follows function and for my needs, it works perfectly. It's very easy to shoot well, and all of my hunting buddies have remarked about that fact. The gray laminate factory stock is hiding in the corner looking pretty, since this rifle has a duty to go hunting whenever/ wherever I have the time, and doesn't get to be a safe queen. 20221104_142123.jpg
20221104_142116.jpg

Currently considering purchase of a scout rifle in 308. I'm down to three candidates, all of which have their pros and cons, and I'm suffering from indecision.

The built out configuration will have an IER or LER scope, and I'd like to stay pretty close to Cooper's Rules on this one, except I'll probably be putting on a KeyMo muzzle brake on it for an optional can.

Not interested in other calibers. 308 hits the sweetspot of BC, recoil, adequate accuracy etc etc for me. Strong preference for stainless. I'm not hugely price-sensitive, but I like getting good value for my money. Planned ranges out to 250 yds, probably not for hunting.

Ruger Gunsite Scout 6829
Pros
* Available in stainless
* I have experience with the M77 action and like it
* While this range of rifles is only 10 years old, the action has been around a lot longer
Cons
* Currently, these sell like lever guns - they're hard to find at any price less than MSRP plus a premium - usually about $1200
* Mags are expensive but lots of choice available

Mossberg MVP Scout 27778
Pros
* Cheap - like REAL cheap - hard to find at the moment, but MSRP is $700, typical price comes in at about $550
* Takes PMAGs
Cons
* Relatively new (11 years ago?), but haven't heard much about it.

Steyr Scout
Pros
* Integrated stuff like 2nd mag in the stock, integral bipod etc
* Sexy as hell
* While MSRP is about $1900, They're readily available for about $1500
* Out of the box, seems to be rated most accurate
* Funky safety (moght be a pro or a con)
Cons
* Doubt if I'll ever use the bipod
* Price
* Mags are even more expensive than Ruger
I had the Ruger scout and it shot great but the stock just didn't feel right to me no matter what i did.

I bought the original (wood stock) Ruger Scout when it first came out and really liked it except for a few shortcomings,

First, it was kind of chunky, with the wood stock contributing to a lot of the weight. Also, the mags were pretty pricey. But when I got into suppressors and realized it wasn't able to even have the barrel threaded I put it up for sale.

To replace it I bought the Savage Scout which was actually a pretty nice little gun, but the Gen 1 version used Savage 110 mags and they were either low cap (5 rounds) or an extremely fragile metal/plastic mix that was a deal breaker for me.
BTW, the new ones use the Magpul AICS mags so that's not an issue anymore.

I looked at the Mossberg Scout but I'd had an MVP in 5.56 that I wasn't impressed with the quality of. All kinds of blems and rough spots on it and the feeding seemed really rough.

So in the end I went back to the Ruger. The new version has a lighter-weight stock and a threaded barrel and the AICS mags are not an issue anymore.

I know the Styer is the OG Scout rifle, but the cost and (until recently) the lack of a threaded barrel put me off. If I were to buy a second one today though, that would probably be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom