• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice Wanted - Scout Rifles in .308

Which Scout Rifle in .308

• Mossberg MVP Scout

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Ruger Gunsite Scout

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Steyr Scout

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Tacos (of course)

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not be happier with mine. I bought a Ruger Gunsite SS in 450 Bushmaster. Mine is a Talo Edition, so it came with the tan stock. The main purpose was for the gun to be a weather and corrosion resistant setup for coastal regions and mainly for boar hunting and maybe Alaska hiking. I got it about 3 years ago and just had it NIB until I needed to use it for that purpose. That purpose arrived as I have a week long hog hunt on Cumberland Island starting tomorrow. I have a 12' Zodiac inflatable adventure boat, so I'll be beaching it at many different locations on the island to test out an array huntings spots. I'm going to get bombarded by waves, and though I have 40" duffle drybag the rifles are inevitably going to get seawater/salt on the guns. I put Eezox on everything, but I'll still clean everything and reapply as much as possible.

In preparation for the hunt, I bought and outfitted the Ruger with a Burris Scout scope with Warne low mount rings. It is a perfect combo with 11" of eye relief. Pretty much over double the eye relief as the other "scout" scopes. The only other option was a Leopold, but they no longer make it as of two years ago, so you have to find a used one. The Burris is fantastic though. Very clear picture. Eye relief range is 8.5-11" and I have mine positioned to around 10". It is incredibly accurate. It took me by surprise how accurate it is. I sighted it in last weekend and it is more accurate than most rifles and I own a lot. I don't know if its the Ruger or the 450 cartridge, but it punches one hole at 100 yards. The GF is also coming on the island hog hunt with me so put together a similar corrosion resistant rifle that she can handle. A 16" tactical edition mini-14 in SS with a tan Hogue stock. Long story short, if I was in the market for a 308 scout rifle, I'd get the same SS gun but with a walnut stock. Finding one of the Tan Talo editions would be tough to find, so I'd get the walnut one and swap over a Hogue stock for situations like this island hog gun.

20221221_151750.jpg

20221221_151653.jpg

20221231_113126.jpg

I could not be happier with mine. I bought a Ruger Gunsite SS in 450 Bushmaster. Mine is a Talo Edition, so it came with the tan stock. The main purpose was for the gun to be a weather and corrosion resistant setup for coastal regions and mainly for boar hunting and maybe Alaska hiking. I got it about 3 years ago and just had it NIB until I needed to use it for that purpose. That purpose arrived as I have a week long hog hunt on Cumberland Island starting tomorrow. I have a 12' Zodiac inflatable adventure boat, so I'll be beaching it at many different locations on the island to test out an array huntings spots. I'm going to get bombarded by waves, and though I have 40" duffle drybag the rifles are inevitably going to get seawater/salt on the guns. I put Eezox on everything, but I'll still clean everything and reapply as much as possible.

In preparation for the hunt, I bought and outfitted the Ruger with a Burris Scout scope with Warne low mount rings. It is a perfect combo with 11" of eye relief. Pretty much over double the eye relief as the other "scout" scopes. The only other option was a Leopold, but they no longer make it as of two years ago, so you have to find a used one. The Burris is fantastic though. Very clear picture. Eye relief range is 8.5-11" and I have mine positioned to around 10". It is incredibly accurate. It took me by surprise how accurate it is. I sighted it in last weekend and it is more accurate than most rifles and I own a lot. I don't know if its the Ruger or the 450 cartridge, but it punches one hole at 100 yards. The GF is also coming on the island hog hunt with me so put together a similar corrosion resistant rifle that she can handle. A 16" tactical edition mini-14 in SS with a tan Hogue stock. Long story short, if I was in the market for a 308 scout rifle, I'd get the same SS gun but with a walnut stock. Finding one of the Tan Talo editions would be tough to find, so I'd get the walnut one and swap over a Hogue stock for situations like this island hog gun.

View attachment 5150275

View attachment 5150278

View attachment 5150293
I just saw this today and grabbed it

Attachments

• 20221231_105739.jpg
    20221231_105739.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 37
The more I research it, the less interested I am in the Mossberg. Not because it's objectively bad, but I suspect I'll look at it a lot of the time and wished I'd gone for something a little less 'basic'.

The price differential - at the moment - between the Ruger and the Steyr is not significant, and the more I think about it, the Ruger's selling point for me is that it's stainless and the model I want is a bit lighter than the Steyr. The Steyr would be 'interesting' to me because I have a safe full of Ruger stuff.

Background - I have rifles (both bolt and semi auto) in 300 Blackout. I have no bolt 308, but a couple of semi-autos, and I thought it's time to round out the collection. I doubt I'll ever have a need to hit a target further out than 400 yds, and I'm drawn to the scout concept - particularly IER/LER optics.

So, no decision made yet - please keep on voting and commenting.

And thanks for your help

I bought and outfitted the Ruger with a Burris Scout scope with Warne low mount rings. It is a perfect combo with 11" of eye relief. Pretty much over double the eye relief as the other "scout" scopes. The only other option was a Leopold, but they no longer make it as of two years ago, so you have to find a used one. The Burris is fantastic though. Very clear picture.

Yep - totally agree on the Burris. I already have one on my M1A Scout Squad and I couldn't be happier. I actually have a Leupold sitting here ready for the new addition, but I might leave it on the shelf and get another Burris. Not like the Leupold would be wasted - I can always buy another gun for it to live with.

The more I research it, the less interested I am in the Mossberg. Not because it's objectively bad, but I suspect I'll look at it a lot of the time and wished I'd gone for something a little less 'basic'.

The price differential - at the moment - between the Ruger and the Steyr is not significant, and the more I think about it, the Ruger's selling point for me is that it's stainless and the model I want is a bit lighter than the Steyr. The Steyr would be 'interesting' to me because I have a safe full of Ruger stuff.

Background - I have rifles (both bolt and semi auto) in 300 Blackout. I have no bolt 308, but a couple of semi-autos, and I thought it's time to round out the collection. I doubt I'll ever have a need to hit a target further out than 400 yds, and I'm drawn to the scout concept - particularly IER/LER optics.

So, no decision made yet - please keep on voting and commenting.

And thanks for your help
Honest question, I've never had a Steyr anything........can someone opine on a warranty/customer service comparison between Steyr/Ruger?
This may help the decision process.
Lots of folks bash Ruger, but their customer service has always been exemplary in years past.

I voted taco. I never understood the concept of a scout rifle. guess I'm a FUD. I love Remington 600s and got a load of them, so the short rifle thing I get. I also love my Ruger 77 light weight carbine but the mounting of a pistol scope doesn't register with me. A low power 30mm regular scope mounted over the action seems to come to the eye quicker. Also not understanding the extended mag on a bolt gun. Seems like if I need an extended mag, I want it on a semi auto. I guess someone could give me the rationale behind the concept and give me the points of need over other options. To answer the question of the OP. I would go with the Ruger or Styer. The Mossbergs I've handled all feel cheap and the bolt seemed to bind. JMHO

Not sure it's a FUD thing - but I've always shot with both eyes open, I like maintaining that wide field of view while aiming, and so longer eye relief works for me, and that's one of the driving considerations. I just find them far easier to use.

Shorter barrel is no loss because I'm a short-range guy. Overall, lighter and more portable.

Extended mags? That's a fair point. I'd own one, but I'd probably stick with 5-rounders most of the time.

A lot of the issue comes down to the anticipated use of the firearm. Most of us just like shooting, but I think the original "If I had just one gun and I had to be ready for anything" rationale for scout rifles is valid. I can take game or goblins down with this, but I don't want to load myself down too much. I want something simple that works, and (love it or hate it) I want something that won't scare the normies too much.

i wish i shot right handed so i had options when i bought mine lol. got me a lefty 18in stainless rgs in 308 years ago and havent looked back. only rifle that goes in the woods easily shoots quarters at 100yds on factory deer ammo.

currently sporting a leupold vxr 2-7, but have been debating about putting on one of the x2 ier style scopes. as i am poor and only can hunt public if i have the chance to take a shot on a deer more than likely its gonna be a close shot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom