• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AITA for not training folks for free?

I’ll add that I’ve paid for all of my training and some of the best “training” you’ll get is when you get involved in various matches at a gun range near you. When you shoot against people that are better than you, it will encourage you to become better, you will learn different techniques, become more familiar with your firearm and I’ve found if you have a good attitude people will go out of their way to help you.

My years as a competitive shooter did nothing but help my overall shooting ability. Great stuff.

I saw your other post. I just thought it was funny tongue and cheek. This post is very well said explain your thoughts on the matter.

I can tell you on some hobbies I enjoy, this often comes up with extended family or friends, can you help with ABC. Never hear from them, and when you start explain costs to your hobby/thing they get deer in the headlights look.

A. They are just users and want something for free and know exactly what they are doing.
B. They have never thought about others and truly don't understand the costs (I say highly unlikely most of the time). Once you educate them on the costs they run away cause its not free.

Now its different if were best friends or immediate immediate family..... But I find the general friend or extended family just will take take take, and when you need something they are poof gone and won't help. So this leads to believe most people fall into bucket A.

I can speak for experience I have extended myself and given a lot of time/hobbies to others.......... and its a black hole that people don't appreciate you when you don't charge them most of the time. People should be considerate and willing to compensate you for your time and materials.

hhgrove hhgrove what your looking for is a range (That allows this) or paying for this training. The liability is too great in this date an age. If you don't have close friend or family land and can't afford this land that is the two best options. Even waivers are not a perfect solution, just cause you have a waiver don't mean it won't go to court etc. This topic (if you search) comes up a LOT.

3rd choice join the military and you can have "Free" access to this style of training .

Hope you find something that meets your needs.

I saw your other post. I just thought it was funny tongue and cheek. This post is very well said explain your thoughts on the matter.

I can tell you on some hobbies I enjoy, this often comes up with extended family or friends, can you help with ABC. Never hear from them, and when you start explain costs to your hobby/thing they get deer in the headlights look.

A. They are just users and want something for free and know exactly what they are doing.
B. They have never thought about others and truly don't understand the costs (I say highly unlikely most of the time). Once you educate them on the costs they run away cause its not free.

Now its different if were best friends or immediate immediate family..... But I find the general friend or extended family just will take take take, and when you need something they are poof gone and won't help. So this leads to believe most people fall into bucket A.

I can speak for experience I have extended myself and given a lot of time/hobbies to others.......... and its a black hole that people don't appreciate you when you don't charge them most of the time. People should be considerate and willing to compensate you for your time and materials.

hhgrove hhgrove what your looking for is a range (That allows this) or paying for this training. The liability is too great in this date an age. If you don't have close friend or family land and can't afford this land that is the two best options. Even waivers are not a perfect solution, just cause you have a waiver don't mean it won't go to court etc. This topic (if you search) comes up a LOT.

3rd choice join the military and you can have "Free" access to this style of training .

Hope you find something that meets your needs.
I appreciate any input. I technically already have access to friend/family land, just not as often as I want lol. And yeah, waivers are iffy. I just wish we could see people go to greater lengths to put those legal protections in place. It's certainly not my area of expertise or understanding. And I'll be enlisting again soon so more training for me :cool:

I have some relationships with people who allow me access to their property. All of those relationships started with either:
-Being a paying customer if it was a gun range or something

-Being a long time friend, relative or contractor for said individual prior to asking if I can run around their yard with my gun.

Although I’m out of the business now, I never had so many “friends” as the 8 years I was a PGA head golf professional. Can you take a look at my swing? ($75.00 per hour). Can you “squeeze me in” for an 0800 tee time on Saturday in the summer? Any chance of playing free? Can i get a free golf cart? Can I get a 25% discount in the pro shop? Can you fit me for a set of clubs free so I can get them somewhere cheaper?

I understand your frustration. People will love you if they can take from you. Not so much if you say no. Pay the going rate, get professional training. Don’t want to pay the professional, get your buddy to “watch” you. He may have something that will help. Or may screw you up even more.

if I wanted to shoot on someone’s land, I would ask them if there’s anything I could do for them to consider it. I would do what they wanted BEFORE I used it.

Although I’m out of the business now, I never had so many “friends” as the 8 years I was a PGA head golf professional. Can you take a look at my swing? ($75.00 per hour). Can you “squeeze me in” for an 0800 tee time on Saturday in the summer? Any chance of playing free? Can i get a free golf cart? Can I get a 25% discount in the pro shop? Can you fit me for a set of clubs free so I can get them somewhere cheaper?

I understand your frustration. People will love you if they can take from you. Not so much if you say no. Pay the going rate, get professional training. Don’t want to pay the professional, get your buddy to “watch” you. He may have something that will help. Or may screw you up even more.

if I wanted to shoot on someone’s land, I would ask them if there’s anything I could do for them to consider it. I would do what they wanted BEFORE I used it.
Paying in work favours is certainly easier than paying in money. And that's how you build a good relationship. As long as people are open to it anyway.

Apparently I missed the the train wreck. I can say that as some who has done one of your training days, it was worth every penny and I'm patiently waiting for you to announce another shooting under stress or team carbine training day. My finger is hovering over the "complete payment" button!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240116_164853.jpg
    Screenshot_20240116_164853.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom