• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for the best martial arts for discipline and self defense for my daughter and then son

I agree with a lot of the posts here as far as wrestling goes. Probably one of the best "bases" you can get before moving in to other martial arts. One of my biggest eye openers after about 4 years of Tae Kwon Do where I'd earned a black belt in my teens, was going to a to a BJJ school where most of the other white belts were just guys who'd done some HS wrestling. I didn't stand a change against those guys at all. They had way better footwork, center of gravity, overall balance, etc and usually excelled quicker.

Jiu jitsu first but Taekwondo, boxing, karate etc are all great disciplines and far superior than having none! Most importantly any gym, school, etc that promotes sparing or rolling with others of the same level of discipline to promote confidence and hone your craft. You can do 1000 letter A side kicks a day at the YMCA but if you don’t get to kick anyone’s ass with your muscle memory it ain’t worth a **** in the real world…
Exactly!. If you pull your punches when you train you'll pull your punches when you need it. When I trained in the '80s I was 15 or 16 and I sparred a 35 year old former Green Beret. I got good but be damned if he didn't smack me up and down that dojo before I got the hang of it.

USA Wrestling has clubs all over the state and kids can wrestle as young as 5. There is more than one club in Kennesaw for sure. Lots of weekend tournaments all culminating in a state tournament in Atlanta.

My son started when he was six, just finished his senior high school year, 4-time state qualifier, 3-time state placer, will be wrestling in the fall in college. He’s an all state football player and a good shot with a rifle and pistol. He’s got a tender heart and knows how to steer clear of trouble…...and I wouldn’t want to fight him, lol.

6 year old at the USA Wrestling state qualifier
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 8.26.02 PM.jpeg

High School 3rd in state as a sophomore, 2nd as a junior, third again as a senior.
IMG_1139.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

Forgot to add, girls wrestling has exploded in Georgia in the past 4 years! It would be a great start for any young girl for future self defense too.

USA Wrestling has clubs all over the state and kids can wrestle as young as 5. There is more than one club in Kennesaw for sure. Lots of weekend tournaments all culminating in a state tournament in Atlanta.

My son started when he was six, just finished his senior high school year, 4-time state qualifier, 3-time state placer, will be wrestling in the fall in college. He’s an all state football player and a good shot with a rifle and pistol. He’s got a tender heart and knows how to steer clear of trouble…...and I wouldn’t want to fight him, lol.

6 year old at the USA Wrestling state qualifier
View attachment 7117279
High School 3rd in state as a sophomore, 2nd as a junior, third again as a senior.
View attachment 7117287
View attachment 7117288
View attachment 7117322

That’s Awesome! Wrestling and JiuJitsu are the best foundations for combat sports period! Also for football players, hockey players and many more physical orientated curriculums or lifestyles!!! Being a squirrely little phacker will pay dividends for the rest of his life!

Did not know, took it for many years
Kenpo is a very technical art. I believe it's still practiced in Japan but takes many years to even get halfway proficient at. Not saying it isn't effective but there are less technical arts out there. I believe that's why it kind of faded into the background. It's not just kick and punch art. It utilizes every part of the body to strike with. One has to work out every part of the body in order to poses the power and speed necessary to be effective.

The Actor ( Jeff Speakman ) in the movie " The Perfect Weapon " is a Kenpo master. Chuck Liddel in MMA took Kenpo and Christian Slater took it as well. I loved the Jeff Speakman movies. His hand speed is unreal!

Back
Top Bottom