• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for the best martial arts for discipline and self defense for my daughter and then son

I hope you find a good dojo. Stay away from ATA fitness and big corporate run Martial Arts studios. They are too careful because of law suits. That being said good luck it's hard to find a good one these days. It seems most of them treat the students to gingerly. Don't get all bent out shape of she comes home with a bloody nose or bruise or two.

Jiu jitsu first but Taekwondo, boxing, karate etc are all great disciplines and far superior than having none! Most importantly any gym, school, etc that promotes sparing or rolling with others of the same level of discipline to promote confidence and hone your craft. You can do 1000 letter A side kicks a day at the YMCA but if you don’t get to kick anyone’s ass with your muscle memory it ain’t worth a **** in the real world…

An activity or martial art (the term today means almost anything that has an escape block fall hold or strike) that you can do together is awesome. My advice is practise the art of fighting without fighting and find something you all like to do (or can tolerate) as a family - most any activity that involves fitness and teaches techniques and range can be helpful and fun. Self defense is more a state of mind than an art. War usually means a great offense. If you are looking for something applicable find something that involves lively sparring and or rolling. That said Atlanta Parkour has great family classes. I am 64 Have advanced passed black belt in tang soo do, judo. wing chun - practiced tae kwon do and krav maga with my Dad and brother. I have practised some form of martial art for fun all my life In the end a sport or game is that and a fight is a fight (gun fight knife fight or fist fight.) Sports and games with rules make sense fights with rules are senseless. Ching Chang Pow is my favorite martial art.

Looking for the best martial arts for discipline and self defense for my daughter and then son. I live in the Kennesaw area, so proximity it is consideration. Thanks for your feedback/help
There are some Brazilian Jiujitsu trainers out there. I know a guy that teaches, but I don’t remember where is his gym or business.

Have a couple of choices, Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai etc and then choose based on who you want instructing/influencing your kid. There are some amazing instructors out there who can be such a positive influence on your kid, and there are some morons. Stay away from places who attempt to lock you into a contract and go with the places that are confident enough in themselves to offer month by month, 3 month, 12 month etc no lock in packages. Pay month by month first month, go and observe as much as you can to start, so you can get an idea of if you want these people to be part of your kids life for possibly 5-10 years.
We moved last year, so I signed my kid up for the same Martial Art in the new area. He'd been going for a month before I had time to go to a few lessons. Pulled him out. Had a look at a few places and now have him doing something that wasn't even on our radar, based on the coaches being people I was happy for him to be trained by.
So, I guess, look for the best coaches.

Not sure how old your kids are but I put my son in The Dojo when he was 7. Josh Horwege is still affiliated with The Dojo and he’s as fine a man as you’d ever want to meet.

That was 20 years ago. He currently trains with American Top Team in MMA.

He’s never been in a street fight and never been in jail. Whatever they taught him worked. His story isn’t like mine.

Back
Top Bottom