• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for the best martial arts for discipline and self defense for my daughter and then son

My son is 7 and started BJJ at 6. Been 15 months now. My daughter is 5 and started BJJ 5 months ago. Structured practices, knowledgeable instructor that works with them to build confidence. They go 3-4 days weekly and each practice always involves 15 minutes or so of live wrestling with others of similar skill sets. We’ll integrate striking and firearms into their training as they mature. Good on ya dad!

Depends on what your goal is with them. Most of these Tae Kwon Do/Karate schools are just belt factories. They'll give a 7 year old a black belt because you pay your monthly dues and show up to test(which is also paid) and while they will learn discipline the self defense aspect will be a bit misleading and lacking. Promotions are based off of learning forms(kata) and not actual fighting/self defense ability.

Jiu jitsu is what I'd recommend, especially a school that teaches both ground a stand up boxing/kickboxing mix with it. Take this from somebody who's done both. These teach actual discipline and solid fighting/defense.

I live in the Kennesaw area, so proximity it is consideration.
Sean Applegate runs 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu out of Strike Fight Center:

It's a flavor of BJJ that doesn't use a gi.

Other instructors are teaching Muay Thai, MMA, etc. out of the same facility.

Not sure how old your kids are but I put my son in The Dojo when he was 7. Josh Horwege is still affiliated with The Dojo and he’s as fine a man as you’d ever want to meet.

That was 20 years ago. He currently trains with American Top Team in MMA.

He’s never been in a street fight and never been in jail. Whatever they taught him worked. His story isn’t like mine.
I second that motion. I have never been so disciplined as I was in training in Okinawan Karate Do and judo. Best thing you could ever do for your kid. My Sensei said he would kick us out for fighting and that would have been devastated. Don't just train you body and physical moves but also study the history of your discipline and work the mind as well. You will progress much quicker.

Boxing AND Judo. Without a solid punch you're just a dancer. Anyone with a solid punch is dangerous despite training
I would agree with this. Both are very practical for real world applications.

BJJ and Muay Thai are my favorite. Wrestling in school is a GREAT background for all this stuff. I wish I did
Agree with this too.

You no longer have to wait to wrestle in school. My son has wrestled going on 2 years and he is 10. Won 2nd in state last year after training only 4 months. His team is exceptional and win the team state championship every year down in Perry.

I like a wrestling base first, then a swap over to Judo or Jiu Jitsu. I do speak from experience.

For stand up Boxing or Muay Thai.

Back
Top Bottom