• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK Bolt wear question.

OP, Soviet Army recommended procedure was to use both oil and grease. Grease goes on receiver rails, bolt and rear trunnion (where recoil spring sits), oil for the trigger group, recoil spring and top of the bolt carrier. No lube on the operating rod, unles you are storing AK long-term.
At least that's how I was taught.

PS, no need to be fancy. I use Tetra grease or high-temperature red axle grease that I use on lawn mower and trailer.

Tried to get a better photo of it... Friend doesn't think it's any big deal either said run it and just keep an eye on the bolt if no more wear roll with it, if it gets worse then consider replacement/warranty repair, I may take some 2000 grit and polish and smooth it just a bit.

BESTBOLTPIC1.jpg

Tried to get a better photo of it... Friend doesn't think it's any big deal either said run it and just keep an eye on the bolt if no more wear roll with it, if it gets worse then consider replacement/warranty repair, I may take some 2000 grit and polish and smooth it just a bit.

Please do not sand any part of your bolt as this could affect headspace/ normal operation. the part of your bolt that flaked off is part of the bolt locking surface. You can replace these parts with any 7.62x39 ak or akm pattern bolt. HOWEVER you will need to have head space verified after you do so

these c39 and T[RAS]H 47 have known material quality and hardness issues with the bolt and trunnion.

Please do not sand any part of your bolt as this could affect headspace/ normal operation. the part of your bolt that flaked off is part of the bolt locking surface. You can replace these parts with any 7.62x39 ak or akm pattern bolt. HOWEVER you will need to have head space verified after you do so

these c39 and T[RAS]H 47 have known material quality and hardness issues with the bolt and trunnion.

Yep, I've been reading and watching alot of videos, Century QC issues with the bolt and carrier. The carrier is fine, and the receiver is outstanding with no finish wear whatsoever, just wondering if what I'm seeing is just normal break in. Wasn't considering sanding down the surface just polishing the tiny edge that is there, put grease on it and run it some more. Since there are no other issues wear or deformation anywhere on the receiver or chamber area I'm wondering if this is just break in.

After doing all the reading I'm surprised someone hasn't sprung up with an upgrade service to polish/bulgarian parts/upgrades, I like the rifle so much that I would definitely upgrade the bolt and carrier to keep it. The fit finish feel, accuracy, and performance are really nice.

If this were an AR15 I'd just replace the bolt and carrier with a nickle boron, check headspace and keep on rolling!

As it stands now I have sent a photo of the area to Century to see how they react, if they say just run it and keep an eye on it them I'm ok with that or if they tell me to send it in I may give that a shot, or I may just opt to upgrade the bolt and carrier to a polish or bulgarian like others have done so that I know I'll have a really solid rifle (I'll buy the gauges and probably have someone check behind me to be sure). It's not a deal breaker for me, just a bit of a hassle.

After doing all the reading I'm surprised someone hasn't sprung up with an upgrade service to polish/bulgarian parts/upgrades, I like the rifle so much that I would definitely upgrade the bolt and carrier to keep it. The fit finish feel, accuracy, and performance are really nice.

As it stands now I have sent a photo of the area to Century to see how they react, if they say just run it and keep an eye on it them I'm ok with that or if they tell me to send it in I may give that a shot, or I may just opt to upgrade the bolt and carrier to a polish or bulgarian like others have done so that I know I'll have a really solid rifle (I'll buy the gauges and probably have someone check behind me to be sure). It's not a deal breaker for me, just a bit of a hassle.

The upgrade service would require a complete replacement of the load bearing components as well as re-headspacing the barrel. Which is easily 8hrs of skilled labor with specialized tooling. Its re-building a POS rifle for no reason.

you do realize this defect can cause your rifle to explode on you correct?

Limit your AK purchases to Communist, Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, Built Without Fit and Finish Concerns, But Instead With Function And Reliability Ugliness In Mind............and these type issues will be practically non existent.

Cost more money........but only hurts once.

The upgrade service would require a complete replacement of the load bearing components as well as re-headspacing the barrel. Which is easily 8hrs of skilled labor with specialized tooling. Its re-building a POS rifle for no reason.

you do realize this defect can cause your rifle to explode on you correct?

Yep some are able to swap out carriers and bolts trying different ones till they pass the head spacing correctly. I'm going to wait till I hear back from century. Reading some reports of them just shipping another rifle. Alot of c39v2 owners not having issues... But you know how it goes... If this becomes a fiasco as much as I like the rifle I may abandon the AK platform all together. Will see.

Limit your AK purchases to Communist, Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, Built Without Fit and Finish Concerns, But Instead With Function And Reliability Ugliness In Mind............and these type issues will be practically non existent.

Cost more money........but only hurts once.

100℅ agree with this... But if it's not appealing to me fit finish and handling wise now matter how well it shoots I won't like it sorry to say. No other AK I have handled has really appealed to me as much as the c39v2...
If I can get one that is good or they fix mine and it just shows normal wear then I'll be OK with it if not may abandon aks until something better comes out or try to upgrade it and keep it.

Back
Top Bottom