• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alaskan Old Growth Trees need protection

A few months ago I went hiking in Yosemite. It was my first time there and I had a blast. I spent the majority of the time in the backcountry and of course a little bit of comfort in the valley. I wondered when I was there just how inefficient it had to be to harvest giant sequoia and redwoods. The sheer size of some of them was awe inspiring, I couldn’t imagine just how much it would take for them to cut and remove such a tree.

Farmed trees nowadays are a much more efficient process, plus with advancements in products we can use more of the tree. I’ve built a top of the line home using all engineered wood products, steel, and concrete. If I ever have the money, I’d like to build a smaller version for myself.

Let me bring some facts into that discussion. I lived in AK for 20 years.

1. Seattle Times is liberal butt rag. I do not believe a word it publishes.
2. Feds still own 62% of land in Alaska. Lands have not been transferred to AK, contrary to agreement made when AK became a state. Feds should have transferred that land to AK years ago.
3. Feds own only 5% of land on GA.
4. Now tell me how a state is supposed to survive if it cannot develop its own economy? How about I move in, take over 62% of your house and make you do with the rest?
5. Timber restrictions have devastated communities in the South East Alaska. Same as they did in Oregon.
6. How, many of you, living in GA and telling Alaskans how to run THEIR state are sending checks to support out of work Alaskans that YOUR policies put out of work? I suspect none. You have no right to talk about it.

PS and the tidbit about lumber being shipped to Japan for processing? It did not used to be that way. But sawmills in AK shut down because Lower 48 politicians put them out of business.

i would deff agree that the feds should tranfer that land to the state and allow the state to decide what to do with it, that only makes sense in my mind tahts all i really know about that situation. as for the folks who have lost jobs i've said this very unpopular statement before and i'll say it again, unfortunately industries evolve around us and changes happen that decrease jobs and sometimes industries die out all together, has happened plenty over the course of the years in this country. It's just the way things are and you have to be able to evolve with the changes or risk being left behind. Its a cold statement but damn true.

It is not evolution if Federal government comes to you and shuts down your business. False analogy.

no that still would be, if the environment is changed regardless of what changed it then the evolution has still occurred. It may have been forced by teh government but you still need to be fluid enough to deal with it.

government regulation creates evolution in industry all the time. They relax some regulations and then boom new ways of doing things are created replacing the old ways. They tighten those regulations and things go the opposite direction. the cause does not negate the reaction that needs to occur

Not allowing logging in a protected national forest ain’t shutting down a business.

It’s just sayin go do yer business down the road, on yer own logging roads, like everyone else does.

Busines was allowed there. Forrest should have been transferred to AK 30 years ago. It was not. Lands around it should have been transferred to AK. They were not.
Again, if you do not know what you are talking about, stop.

Back
Top Bottom