• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Almost Garden Time Again

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Trying to get a head start on my container garden this year.

This year I will have 8 of my self-watering buckets with 4 different types of tomatoes. New will be two 3'x6' boxes with broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and bush green beans.

Not shown in the pictures will be herbs on the patio....cilantro, rosemary, basil, parsley, thyme, and oregano. I will also have two jalapeno plants on the patio.

The herbs are already potted; but I am waiting for frost free nights before planting everything else.
20190316_092208.jpg
20190316_092219.jpg
20190316_092231.jpg

Update. Decided to go ahead and get some of the stuff in dirt. I put brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage in one of the boxes today. I also planted two rows of seeds for bush beans in the second box. I moved my seedling tomatoes onto the covered patio to begin hardening them before the final planting.

20190321_165852.jpg
20190321_170457.jpg

I built three more container boxes today and I’ve got spinach and lettuce sprouting. Planted onions and red potatoes but still to early up here for tomatoes.

Tell me about the self watering buckets if you don't mind.

I just made mine like the guy in this Youtube video. He uses a red solo cup for the wicking vessel...I used a small round rubbermaid container that I bought at Walmart....it is a little sturdier than the cup. I only had to top off my water reservoir every 7-10 days.

548C5DD9-9D5C-4F4D-AA24-29C1906473C1.jpeg
CFAFE714-0E06-4018-A9C4-FDB4298590B8.jpeg
6988084B-EE78-4E7E-8F9A-C841164CEF24.jpeg
E10159A1-9DB7-48CA-81AC-42E5F1A5B334.jpeg
I added on to my garden this year and just finished fencing in the additions. Separated my potatoes, corn, pumpkins and cantaloupes from the main garden area that has my containers, beans, strawberries etc.

I started tilling today and hit a rock that took a pick, a rock bar and 30 minutes of prying and pulling to get out. Found another bigger one about 3 feet away that I’m going to have to use a come-a-long and straps to get it out.

Well, I gambled and lost. I planted my green bean and okra seeds too soon. They've been in the ground almost two weeks now with no sign of germination. The soil in my boxes has been hovering around 55 degrees....that's just not warm enough for germination. We've had quite a bit of rain; so between that and the cold soil I am pretty sure my seeds have rotted in the ground. No biggie....I'll just replant the beans and okra in a few days. The soil temp is almost in the mid-sixties now. 65-70 degrees is good for both types of seeds to germinate.

The good news is that everything else seems to be holding on. The tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage aren't going crazy in the cool temps; but they are all showing signs of some new growth.

My lettuce and spinach are growing slowly and my onions just popped through. Collards and cabbage are starting to get motivated and I hope the increase in temps this weekend gets everything kick started.

Also, I planted some tomatoes and bell peppers in containers thus week and have been covering them up at night

Sofar I don't need a fence for deer but the dang birds and ground squirrels hammer my tomatoes. I put netting over them year before last and got a ton. What do you all do to combat varmint cong? Netting worked but a pain in the behind!

Back
Top Bottom