• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I the only one terrible at hunting?

First year too. I'm unfortunate enough to have to hunt public land, nearest of which is 2 hours away (and I drive a V8). Don't have a stand either. The only scouting I'm able to do is from satellite imagery.

Went out about 6 times for the whole day, sun up to sun down. Used doe urine, had wind in my face, used calls, sat near trails/natural choke points, sat on the edge of food plots.... Saw absolutely nothing.

I don't think there are any deer in all of northern Georgia.

That sounds like my first year deer hunting... I would see nothing and my buddies would come back to camp bragging about all the deer they seen or in some cases shot..... See my previous comments in this thread...

Thanks for the suggestions on Turkey hunting. Let me ask, does wild turkey taste different than farm raised? Not much of a turkey eater, and would hate to kill something for the sake of doing so...

It does taste different. My girlfriend doesn't like it. She says, "it tastes too meaty."
It has a fraction of the fat in it. Cooked properly it is really really good. Cook it wrong...dry, nasty, stringy. I've never had a whole wild turkey fried but I bet it would be good. Also don't let people tell you that the only thing good on a wild turkey is the breast. It is all good...cooked right.

This is my 4th year hunting. I've seen one deer on public land, and about 8 on private. Haven't taken one yet, but I'm giving it another year. I spend at least 15 6+ hour days hunting wmas each year, plus a couple 12 hour days, not to mention scouting. This was my first year hunting private land and it's WAY different. If I hunted with a rifle during the rut, I would have bagged at least one. But I was at the mercy of a gracious bow hunter on private property, so bows it was.

I enjoy getting out but I am definitely ready to bring home some venison. Good luck everyone!

Back
Top Bottom