• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I the only one terrible at hunting?

I started turkey hunting only a few years ago. Only seriously last year, I got close a few times but did not close the deal. It's different from deer hunting. If I get one this year I'll let you know how it tastes. From what I've heard it has more flavor than store bought. Have you ever deep fried a turkey, or slow smoked? I'll never put one in the oven again!

We fried one this year for the first time amd I agree with you, I will never put one in the oven again!

This was the first year that I have ever hunted. But d***, I simply don't get it. I went out about 12 times and didn't even see anything the first 9 times. I just don't get it, unless I am simply that terrible at this.

Homework my friend, hunting is a year long endeavor, those that prepare, scout, watch the weather, scent, food sources...etc usually succeed annually. When I started, I was green and did a lot of reading, figuring things out cause no one was there to guide me. Hook up with a seasoned hunter and learn from them and develop your own style. It has made me have great anticipation each year and keeps me coming back as I continually learn. 30 yrs now and not a season without bounty since 1985. Stay the course! If it were easy everyone would be doing it and the "hunt" would not be the end result just the harvest. The "hunt" is the intrigue for me. Good luck.

P.S. I hunt in your backyard-Monticello

Went out Saturday and hunted. Couldn't stay out as late as I wanted to (didn't want a pissed off wife when I got home). Too bad to because I know the deer started moving around 11:30am. Sunday morning would have been good too right after the rain.

I seldom hunt anymore but found over the years most people tend to make hunting too complicated and technical with all kinds of tricks and gizmos. I smoked, talked, coughed, laughed, never sat in a stand and seldom wore camo and only wore orange when they passed the law back in the 70's, never really had a problem in 45 + yrs. Heck, just go un-prepared and it'll work out to your satisification [wink], then you'll be saying things like me "I can't find my knife, I got to dress this thing out, let me borrow yours", LOL

I seldom hunt anymore but found over the years most people tend to make hunting too complicated and technical with all kinds of tricks and gizmos. I smoked, talked, coughed, laughed, never sat in a stand and seldom wore camo and only wore orange when they passed the law back in the 70's, never really had a problem in 45 + yrs. Heck, just go un-prepared and it'll work out to your satisification [wink], then you'll be saying things like me "I can't find my knife, I got to dress this thing out, let me borrow yours", LOL

lol, this too has happened w/me, took many deer back when blue jeans were my camo

Back
Top Bottom