• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

And you think ammo is expensive??

Not who makes the money. Who makes the breed.

Good breeders actually don't make much money due to the amount of money they put into the puppies and the cost of showing or competing the dogs. There are exceptions, but they are rare and very elite dogs. The focus of good breeders is the Breed Standard. Their goal is to create the most perfect example of that standard they possibly can. This may be changing. The recent increase in cost of pure bred dogs is kind of over the top.

Puppy Mills pump out the highest number of puppies they can and still claim they are "Pure Bred" dogs. They are responsible for seriously screwing up a variety of breeds that became popular.

Backyard breeders are either folks that try to be show or sporting dog breeders, but have no idea what they are doing and don't last long. Or more likely they are folks that simply have a couple of dogs they like and want to make more.

There are also breeders that go their own road without a care about the rest of the dog world.
see above

Look more closely.
i agree that i stated that kind of wrong. it's been a day since i read it.
i'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you. i just think you made some kind of broad statements.
for the record, i think that show dog breeders ruin breeds so we probably won't end up eye to eye on this. i also hate the AKC because of the show dog industry.
i raise dogs that aren't even a breed (although a certain group of people tried to change that a few years ago) they just meet a set of standards. i also don't consider myself a breeder even though i have pups every now and then.

i agree that i stated that kind of wrong. it's been a day since i read it.
i'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you. i just think you made some kind of broad statements.
for the record, i think that show dog breeders ruin breeds so we probably won't end up eye to eye on this. i also hate the AKC because of the show dog industry.
i raise dogs that aren't even a breed (although a certain group of people tried to change that a few years ago) they just meet a set of standards. i also don't consider myself a breeder even though i have pups every now and then.
I agree that show dogs typically do not have the drives that define a breed. Every time I hear an announcer at a show describe what a dog was bred to do I laugh inside because I'm pretty damn sure the dog that's being shown won't do it. But again, show breeders have different goals.

I'm also not a fan of the AKC. I think their standards for breeding are way too lose. In fact, they are primarily responsible for puppy mills and pet shops selling dogs from puppy mills. As long as the puppy mill breeder can show pure bloodlines they can get AKC registration and that's all most people need to think it's a quality dog.

We had a papered Boykin Spaniel that we loved and led a long life before she got cancer. Wife missed her terribly so we used the Boykin rescue contacts to give an older Boykin Spaniel rescue a home. Loved her too but she only had a few years before she passed - that is tough part of rescuing an older dog but they love you so much.
LOVE my Boykins! Good on you for giving both of them a good life.

Back
Top Bottom